can't turn on wireless

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by chaiilee, Nov 28, 2009.

1. chaiilee

chaiilee MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2009
    Has anyone run into a similar situation where you can't turn on your wireless card?

I installed XP (couldn't get it too work) and then Vista (still not working), installed the correct drivers (XP drivers for XP and Vista drivers for Vista), switch the wireless on/off switch, tried Fn+F2 (this is the key combination to turn on/off wireless), updated the BIOS, yet my wireless remains off. The laptop even detects the wireless card (I assume nothing wrong with the wireless card itself) but it doesn't turn on.

2. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    If the card is detected, it is turned on. Probably the issue is you can't get connected to the network.
    Try looking in the router settings. Security settings might block the new client from loggin on to the network.

3. chaiilee

chaiilee MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2009
    found the problem!

The wireless card's hardware/configuration was being dectected but it was turned off and it wasn't the network.

I ended up disassembling the laptop to see what was wrong. The wireless switch on the side of the laptop broke while in the off position (so when switching on/off it remained off). I had to use a needle pin to switch it on.

4. goldliker

goldliker MDL Novice

Jun 27, 2013
    You can try to refresh your network gateway , and then press Fn+F2 .

5. fasterboy

fasterboy MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2013
    It's common hardware problem. So u need to see any hardware pc repair shop and they will replace switch system connected to motherboard.

6. sorel

sorel MDL Novice

Jun 30, 2013
    Try to enable from Network Connections. Right click on Wireless Network Connection -> Enable. Maibe "Fn" key is broken or "F2" key is broken"

7. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    usually taping pin 21 of wifi does trick.. mini pci-ex