Can't uninstall previous SP1 Beta

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by mheffler, Jan 27, 2008.

1. mheffler

mheffler MDL Novice

Jan 27, 2008
    I purchased a computer in November with Vista Home Premium. When Microsoft opened the public beta, I installed it. I later upgraded to Vista Ultimate. Now the new release candidate is available, I cannot find the SP1 in Programs and Features to be able to uninstall it so that I can install the refresh. System and Maintenance says I am running Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 1, v.668, which I believe is the first public beta. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

When I search for KB936330, I get "No items match your search."
    That KB does not show up in my list.

When I use the syntax in the posting:

start /w pkgmgr /up: VistaSP1-KB936330~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.0.<build number>​

and the 17052 build number found in the registry, the space after /up: causes an error:

Operation failed with 0x80070057
    The parameter is incorrect.​

and when I remove the space, no matter what build number I use, it immediately returns to the prompt - no error and no activity.

I believe this issues is because my restore point that was created when I installed Vista SP1 RC has been over written. Can someone please confirm that if your restore point is gone that you're screwed?

I logged an e-mail with HP, who I bought my PC from and they sent details and clearing traces from the resgistry. I have not tried it yet:

Before removing the program files and making any changes to the Registry, use the following steps to back up the entire Windows registry.

1. Click Start and then type Run and hit enter.
    2. In the Open field type: regedit
    3. In the Registry Editor, select Computer.
    4. With Computer highlighted, click File, and then Export.
    5. Browse to a storage location that is easy to remember.
    6. Under Export Range, select All.
    7. Type in a filename. HP suggests naming the file with the current
    date, for example: Registry Backup 01-01-07.
    8. Click the Save button to save the registry.

In case at any point of time, if you require to restore the registry settings, use the

following steps to restore the registry from a saved registry backup.

1. Click Start, and then type Run and hit enter.
    2. In the Open field type: regedit
    3. Press Enter.

The Registry Editor opens.

4. With Computer highlighted, click File, and then Import.
    5. Browse to the registry file that was saved.
    6. Select the file and click OK.
    7. Restart the computer.

Next, follow these steps to remove the Vista SP1 public beta files from Registry:

1. Click Start, type Run in the search box and press enter, and type regedit in the command line.
    2. After the Registry Editor loads, perform the following steps: a. Click the plus (+) sign next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    b. Click the plus (+) sign next to Software.
    c. Click the plus (+) sign next to Microsoft.
    d. Click the plus (+) sign next to Windows.
    e. Click the plus (+) sign next to CurrentVersion.
    f. Click the plus (+) sign next to Uninstall.

3. Right-click the program you want to uninstall (Vista SP1 public beta ) and click Delete.
    4. Check if the program has entries under the following Registry locations and delete them:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software

=== Removing the files from the hard drive ===

After removing the program from the Registry, follow these steps to remove the program for the hard drive:

1. Click on start, click search.
    2. In the search companion windows, click on "All files and folders".
    3. Type in the program name that you would like to remove in the search space provided. and click on search.
    4. Wait till the search is finished and delete all the files found related to the program that you would like to remove.

These steps should effectively remove the program for the system. If the issue persists, please reply to this message and we will be happy to help you.

Sincerely,

Rodriguez
    HP Total Care​

My computer is a 64-bit system (Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600) running the 32-bit version of Vista Ultimate.

I have no Vista SP1 in the install keys. I do have it in the Windows Update keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\VistaSp1

Contains the key:

Beta1 with REG_SZ value c1ff1d2f-c61e-4f27-b68c-722061c201a5

Windows Update only shows 13 items, none of which is the Vista SP1. I downloaded Windows6.0-KB936330-wave1-X86.exe and it says "Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is already installed." My System and Maintenance->System shows

"Windows Vista Ultimate
    Copyright...
    Service Pack 1, v.668

Help->About Windows shows:

Microsoft Windows
    Version 6.0 (Build 6001: Service Pack 1, v.668)

But the package 936330 doesn't show up for me to remove. Is there a Windows Update or regsitry hack to clean up this mess?

Windows Update -> View Update history does show:

Update for Windows Vista (KB937287) - Build 6001.17128 (x86)

Is that significant?

Max
    max._AT_.texsys.com

2. zzdiesel

zzdiesel MDL Member

May 20, 2007
    Go to Control Panel>Programs & Features. There is a link on the left side for installed updates. Uninstall it from there. Wait about an hour or so before you install the new one.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mnavarra

mnavarra MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2008
    HELP - i need to unistall and no methods work

I have this problem too that i have copied -....

My computer is a 64-bit system (Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600) running the 32-bit version of Vista Ultimate.

I have no Vista SP1 in the install keys. I do have it in the Windows Update keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\WindowsUpdate\VistaSp1

Contains the key:

Beta1 with REG_SZ value c1ff1d2f-c61e-4f27-b68c-722061c201a5

Windows Update only shows 13 items, none of which is the Vista SP1. I downloaded Windows6.0-KB936330-wave1-X86.exe and it says "Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is already installed." My System and Maintenance->System shows

"Windows Vista Ultimate
    Copyright...
    Service Pack 1, v.668

Help->About Windows shows:

Microsoft Windows
    Version 6.0 (Build 6001: Service Pack 1, v.668)

But the package 936330 doesn't show up for me to remove. Is there a Windows Update or regsitry hack to clean up this mess?

Windows Update -> View Update history does show:

Update for Windows Vista (KB937287) - Build 6001.17128 (x86)

Is that significant?

I try looking for restore points and have none
    I have tried to use programs uninstall and uninstall updates etc etc, and none there that are relevent

What options do i have or will the new full public SP1 release overwrite my beta and i can wait till then?

4. Kah

Kah MDL Novice

Apr 2, 2008
    Problems Uninstalling Vista SP1

If you are having problems uninstalling a Vista SP1 beta then try to uninstall it from safe mode. Here are steps for those of you not familiar. Good luck.

CK

Steps:

1. Hit the start button and type in the search box "msconfig" and press enter
    2. Click on the "boot" tab
    3. Under boot options check the box labeled safe boot
    4. When the computer has rebooted go to the control panel and select programs
    5. Then select view installed updates
    6. Select the service pack update and click on the uninstall button