Can't unpin tile from Start Menu

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by yomoma2, Aug 27, 2015.

1. yomoma2

yomoma2 MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    I have a stuck/corrupted tile on the start menu and can't remove it. Only right-click options available are Unpin and Resize, but Unpin does nothing.
    It was pointing to a shortcut file I placed manually on the ProgramData's Start Menu folder, but after messing with it by moving, pinning and unpinning, the tile started behaving that way, and doesn't even show the respective shortcut icon anymore (or even launch it, for that matter). I can create a new perfectly working copy of that tile from the original file, but creating or removing it won't affect the previously messed one.
    So, is there any other way to manually access Start Menu tiles, so I can remove it?
    Thanks

2. yomoma2

yomoma2 MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    It's an updated 10240 RTM.

3. yomoma2

yomoma2 MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    I'm also looking for a way to simply delete current or restore original OOBE Start Menu items, but it seems that W10 isn't storing preferences on the same files as it used to on earlier preview builds. That would help with this problem too.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If you're familiar with Registry Editor, search for the Name of that tile and delete the entry in Registry. Backup the Registry upfront for to be on the save way!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. yomoma2

yomoma2 MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Thanks, but I've already tried that approach. Current tiles don't seem to be stored on registry, there must be a db on a file elsewhere as it was in the early previews (%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\appsFolder.itemdata-ms).

6. yomoma2

yomoma2 MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Also, sfc /scannow did nothing to correct it.

Well, I've solved it in a less than optimal way, as nothing was learned with the process. Installing Stardock Start10 trial deleted the faulty tile immediately, without needing any further action taken. After removing Start10, the tile didn't come up again.

Thanks to all that posted. If anyone finds a way to manipulate or reset Start Menu tiles, please update this thread.

7. gringopig

gringopig MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2008
    You don't use Kaspersky by any chance do you?

If so then it is a recognised bug with a fix in progress...

8. yomoma2

yomoma2 MDL Member

Feb 27, 2010
    #9 yomoma2, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    (OP)
    No, I'm not using Kaspersky. Thanks.
    The problem started when I put a shortcut directly in the ProgramData Start Menu folder, but it wasn't appearing in the All Apps list. But it still appeared in the new items list, so I right clicked it to pin. Then, the tile was non functional, had no icon, and couldn't be removed.

9. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Probably the only way to fix this is to obtain an iso, mount it, and run setup, essentially upgrading overtop of 10240 with 10240. This worked for me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...