Cant upgrade from Starter - upgrade fails

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by elniniol999, Apr 25, 2011.

1. elniniol999

elniniol999 MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2011
    I have tried using anytime upgrade to upgrade my netbook from starter to home premium / ultimate / pro but every upgrade i try fails during the percentage screen.

the system reboots in the 30%s and continues the upgrade all the way up to 100% then a message appears saying that the upgrade has failed and system is being reverted back.

What am I doing wrong? I have tried many keys and dont seem to be getting anywhere.

When i upgrade my laptop it took literally 15 minutes and was simple first time. I havent installed SP1 on the netbook but have performed all updates apart from this.

Any ideas? is it maybe that the keys on youtube etc have been blacklisted?

2. elniniol999

elniniol999 MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2011
    Still getting the same problem. I have an emachines netbook which isnt listed but the MSI upgrade code for Home Premium has the exact same product id as my netbook running starter. I used this and the upgrade still fails. any more ideas?

3. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    #3 zahnoo, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
    I doubt you're doing anything wrong per se; sometimes Windows has a mind of its own. If you have an OEM restoration disk, or can use a restore partition, you might consider restoring to the original, as-purchased condition and then attempting the upgrade.

But if you're getting repeat upgrade failures; consider a clean install. Wiping the drive and starting fresh can cure many problems.

Just backup you data first as most restore operations will destroy user data.

Sometimes the underlying cause(s) for Windows' balkiness is not worth the continued effort to repair, but that effort is obviously your choice.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. livinginswva

livinginswva MDL Member

Sep 5, 2010
    you might try booting to safe mode then upgrading. might work, just a thought

5. elniniol999

elniniol999 MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2011
    i rolled the system back to factory setting using the recovery mode at startup.

took an age to roll back but first thing i did was try and upgrade using the codes on the link above and worked like a dream.

cheers guys!

6. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Excellent! :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Big Ben

Big Ben MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2010
    I brought this for my Wife, this New HP 110 Netbook with Windows 7 Starter edition but I would like to upgrade to Home Premium.

I would like to use a Purchased OEM DVD of Home Premium as its far cheaper here than getting a Key for the Windows Anytime Upgrade, plus with the OEM DVD you do have a full backup, but from searches it seems that MS does not alow this, only a clean install is this correct.?

But I see a number of articles here that you can just use a key for the Windows Anytime Upgrade from the listed ones in these articles, to me I just cant see how this would work, as I thought that MS would flag these Keys as being used or blacklisted.

Can some one clear this up.

Thanks.

8. Big Ben

Big Ben MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2010
    Thanks for your reply

A few more things

Do I need to backup the system before I do the anytime upgrade , or just a System restore point.?

Also does this give me a Activated Win 7 home premium or do I use the Daz loader.?

I see that MS does not let you use a USB device to do backups, so Acronis software seems to be the way to go, they even make a Netbook version for small screens.

HP Mini 110-3627tu

Comes with a Intel® Atom™ N570 and a nice Mat screen.

I brought this for my wife as a full Laptop would just be a waste of money, Plus I only Paid $399nz at a sale price.

My own system is a Old homebuilt P4 3.2g running a Dual boot XP/WIN7 but I generally stick with XP.

Thanks

From down in New Zealand.

9. Big Ben

Big Ben MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2010
    >>> This link has been Removed for some reason.

I only need to upgrade to Home Premium as my Wife is not much of a computer person, but is presenly taking a simple course into computers, but she needs to change the Wallpapers now and again.

***This will automatically updates your PC straight from Redmond Company so be careful with what you will install especially the KB971033

Yes I know about that, but its never been install by MS on my system, a Dual Boot XP/W7.

Thanks..

10. Jaycee13

Jaycee13 MDL Senior Member

Apr 18, 2011
    I'll look for the loader on my installers folder and if its there, i'll PM it to you..

11. Big Ben

Big Ben MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2010
    Having problems posting I keep getting message to Short..??

Try now with out the Quote
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Keys as I thought have be flagged, I get try another key.?

Tried the HP/COMPAQ one and the HP one for starter to W7 Home Premium

It starts the Upgrade and a min or so later tells me to use another key.

So what key can I use..?

I did find a tool to tell me my Widows 7 details SLP key etc, but I forgot to save the link or file.

Can you help

Thanks.

12. Big Ben

Big Ben MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2010
    I feel a bit Stupid

Thanks ACRSN

Big Puzzle

Seems like this Home Premium Update went in..??

I first tried it with the HP/Compaq Key this key took but the Update Failed, just after a few min's, I then tried the HP key, after say a min it stated that the key was not for this version of Windows.

So gave up and turned the PC off but I did noticed that it was doing a shut down update, but I did not take any notice of this as this often seems to happen.

But I thought that I try one more time with all the Secure features turned OFF like Avast and Comodo, no luck Key not valid for this version of Windows.

But the next time I booted it was showing Home Premium at the bottom of the screen..?

And also as the operating System.

What puzzled me was I never got a 10mins Update or a auto reboot.

But I still would like to find that Tool that tells you about the installed OS.

Thanks

From a very wet New Zealand

13. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Click on the start orb and in the search box type "Winver.exe". Run that and it will tell you the version of OS that you are running.

14. Big Ben

Big Ben MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2010
    ACRSN

Yes my wife only wanted to change the Wallpapers, why MS took that out I just cant understand.

The Program that I refered to is OEMdump, a lot of copies on the net have a virus in them.

15. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009