can't use MSDN key to activate 16385 RTM?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by deham, Jul 24, 2009.

1. deham

deham MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2008
    just wondering is it possible to activate 16385 "RTM" by later MSDN key? Couldn't wait for Aug 6.:confused:

2. ajcoll5

ajcoll5 MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2009
    Not quite sure what your asking. If your asking if you can use the RTM key you'll get from MSDN with a leaked RTM copy, then yes if your key is for the same SKU you installed.

3. deham

deham MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2008
    yes. this is what i am asking. not sure what's the SKU stands for? how can I find out?

4. neomatrix

neomatrix MDL Junior Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Microsoft will be releasing Windows 7 in different versions (SKU’s) that are targeted towards different types of users. Just like Windows Vista had those Premium, Business, Ultimate, etc… packages, same goes for Windows 7. But until recently, it wasn’t revealed which features will be included on each of these Windows 7 versions (SKU).

Despite much criticism, Microsoft is sticking to the 3 concurrent program limit for Windows 7 Starter. Major differences between Home Premium and Professional include the ability to join a domain, host a remote desktop session, encrypt files, and do an advanced backup. Windows 7 Ultimate will basically be Windows 7 Enterprise but for personal use.

Oh, and before you see the features, I’m sure some of you are asking what does SKU means? (it’s used in the header of this post too). SKU stands for Stock Keeping Unit. Generally products (even software) have unique SKU codes so that the manufacturer and vendors can keep track of products