Cant view attachments with Chinese Characters in Outlook 2007

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by cooge, Jan 28, 2010.

1. cooge

cooge MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2008
    I have a problem with outlook 2007 not letting me view attachments (jpgs) which have Chinese characters in them.

I have installed office 2007 on loads of pc's and laptops (win XP Pro) but on a particular pc (brand new out of box) it will not let me view email attachments which are entitled with Chinese text. I have several identical pc's set up exactly the same way which prompted me to download the Chinese language pack (or something similar) to be able to view said attachments. Once this was done they viewed the attachments fine. However the problem pc does not prompt me to download and just will not display the attachment either when trying to open on in preview.
    I have looked on the Microsoft office site but the language packs available for download seem to be chargeable.
    Has anybody got any ideas of why this is happening?

2. yah

yah MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2010
    I had this problem last week actually. As I run a slightly trimmed version of Win XP Pro, I didn't have the Asian text language in my install.

You will need to have a full Win XP Pro install disk, or a mounted ISO with the language files that you need, if Windows doesn't automaticly find them on your system.

Go to-

Control Panel > Regional and Language Options
    Click on the "Languages Tab", and put a check/tick in the "Install files for East Asian Languages" box.
    Click "Apply" then "OK"

You should have a nag saying that it needs to install 230MB of data (or something round that number) so just click OK.

If the files aren't found on your system, you'll find them in X:\i386 and X:\i386\LANG (X:\ being your CD drive letter)
    You'll get about 10 or more nags asking for the dll locations, just switch up and down between those paths when windows asks for them.

There's a simple guide on the net somewhere, that just gives the paths for certain dll's/exe's, but I couldn't find it. It would have saved me from typing this. If I find it, I'll add the link.

3. cooge

cooge MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2008
    Thanks for that Yah. I did look on the Xp disk for similar files but didnt know, exactly the correct files to install.

I will give this a go some time this week and post back here if it fixed it or not.

4. cooge

cooge MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2008
    Still Not working

Hi Yah

I tried your fix but this didnt work. It looks like it is installing the East Asian Languages but once you restart the system it is still the same.

I even tried it in safe mode thinking it would prompt me to install them from disk but nothing happened.

I have the restore disks at hand, would there be a file on there that i could use and if so which one.

5. yah

yah MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2010
    Did it ask you to reboot after it seemed like it installed them? If so, then I would imagine that they did install, but I'm not really sure where to advise you any further, other than look on Windows update to see if there are any recomended files needed, that might help.

Did you look at a Chinese/Japenese/Korean document/website to see if the fonts are now viewable? Perhaps it's an Office language pack you need to install, which may be on the Office install disk. I don't use MS Office stuff sorry, only Open Office once in a while.

There's something called IME, (Input Method Editor, I think) that may need to be installed, but I would have thought that you would only need to install it if you want to type in that lanuage, (not just view the fonts) that might help.

6. cooge

cooge MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2008
    Rebooted but still no joy.

If anybody has any ideas on this i would appreciate it