Carefull when installing MSE

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DeadMan, Feb 24, 2010.

1. DeadMan

DeadMan MDL Junior Member

Aug 11, 2009
    I just updated MSE to the latest build and upgrading the 64 bit version was no problem. I just ran the installer and it offered to upgrade over the top of the older version.

However when I tried the 32 bit version on my laptop it said it was already installed (It was but older build). I uninstalled the old build and installed the new build thinking this was not big deal.

However during it's install and subsequent update of it's signature files I get a popup saying that windows updates are downloaded and won't be installed until I reboot. I check my services and lo and behold windows update is turned back on even though I had previously disabled it.

Sneaky.

I checked the 64 bit PC and it remains disabled so it did not do anything just upgrading MSE.

Guess who won't be doing that again in a hurry with the WAT update hanging around. I don't care if it's optional at the moment. I can see a time when it becomes compulsory. :mad:

2. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Nothing sneaky about it, MSE requires windows update to function, if you feel the need to use MSE then you must enable WU for it to update. There is no issue with enabling it. WATU will not install without you selecting it atleast for the time being.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. timster

timster MDL Senior Member

Aug 23, 2009
    #3 timster, Feb 24, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
    Edd is right, WU is required by MSE. go a few days without updating it and then run WU. the latest MSE defs will show up

4. DeadMan

DeadMan MDL Junior Member

Aug 11, 2009
    That's really rather annoying. I thought it would update itself seperately to WU. Guess I will have to look for another AV application again (I've not found one that runs as smoothly or picks up as many new threats yet though).

5. ShareAll

ShareAll MDL Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Go with NOD32 Antivirus with Marafix (Runs great with all updates automatic for free) And for firewall go for the free version of Comodo Firewall with Defence+. This is the best combination to be safe and runs easy on memory...