CCleaner better installer

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by wilenty, Jun 1, 2020.

?

Do you like the direction that CCleaner is heading after its acquisition by Avast?

1. I don't like the Software Update component, which can't be disabled in the free version

25.0%
  2. I like the Software Update component, it should be included in all versions as well

2.3%
  3. Yes

2.3%
  4. I have no idea - I don't use it

4.5%
  5. No

50.0%
  6. There are many other good programs of this type

11.4%
  7. This program loads too long, especially with WinAPP2.ini included

4.5%
  1. wilenty

wilenty MDL Senior Member

Jan 15, 2014
  2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    1. Do you like the direction that CCleaner is heading after its acquisition by Avast? - unfortunately I don't know, where it is heading, it has been never published anywhere
    2. I don't like the Software Update component, which can't be disabled in the free version - there is no problem with disabling, but cannot see any reason to disable
    3. I like the Software Update component, it should be included in all versions as well - it is useless, so there is no matter, if it is there or not
    4. Yes - yes, I use it regularly and have not had any problems
    5. I have no idea - I don't use it- yes, I use it regularly and have not had any problems
    6. No - yes, I use it regularly and have not had any problems
    7. There are many other good programs of this type - there has never been anything else that can replace CCleaner
    8. This program loads too long, especially with WinAPP2.ini included - if 0.001 seconds is long, then yes, but I think you just own a very old, slow or damaged computer or you don't know how to use winpp2.ini
    I can't understand how such a simple thing as CCleaner makeing to some persons so many problems?
    Or someone is just being paid very well for doing such propaganda. What is the reason to make such a propaganda?
    It is worth remembering that you do not have to use it if you are not able to use such a simple thing or for some reason do not want to use it. Do not use, it's not mandatory, but let these people use, who want to use it and can use it without any problems.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. PhoenixCA

PhoenixCA MDL Novice

Apr 26, 2020
    Problem was never CCleaner as a standard program, problem is company that bought it is changed with collecting their users data and spying.

I personally think that WIseCare is better then CCleaner even with budle aka CCleaner plus, I've used recuva few times and never I wasn't able to recover anything then I've discovered Stellar data recovery and iSkysoft data recover and both recovered almost everything that I neded, same goes for WC data recovery, only thing that is good about CCleaner is Speccy rest is useless.

4. wilenty

Jan 15, 2014
    Wikipedia:
    For example, some others looking for old CCleaner:
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...al-version-before-acquisition-of-avast.80532/

The problem is not my computer, but the big company which can't load the WinAPP2.ini faster than my launcher and other tools which trims it. For that we create them.

I don't need the Software Update in my Pro version, but I can't disable it from original CC installer, and that's the problem.
    I created it in as simple as possible way to disable/enable it without searching whole internet for the solution.

I realize that you don't agree with me, but it's not only me who sees the problems with CCleaner after acquiring by Avast.

5. DirtyAngelicaSecured

Mar 30, 2020
    CCleaner deliberately slows down startup of its program if you block it in your firewall. It's a great cleaner, especially with custom WinApp2.ini, but someone should release a workaround for faster startup of the program.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. wilenty

Jan 15, 2014
    @DirtyAngelicaSecured It's already done with the CCstarter of mine. :D

-> it can manage any version of CCleaner, included Portable ones
    • on start, it checks if the program's executable (accordingly to the OS architecture) is available in the same location of the launcher. If it's not available, an alert message is displayed
    * it trims the WinAPP2.ini (if exists), then…
    * it adds exceptions to Windows Firewall (if enabled), then…
    * it runs the program's version accordingly to the OS architecture, then…
    * on exit, it deletes Windows Firewall exceptions (if added), then…
    * it writes back the trimmed Winapp2.ini (if used) with the original one

Here I shared only the installer. I will provide the full CCleaner installer with the CCstarter included, after support on Patreon. :)

7. DirtyAngelicaSecured

Mar 30, 2020
    Since CCStarter is a Patron-$ thing, can you demo it somehow? Also, I noticed that trimming WinApp2.ini prevents CCleaner from removing all that it can. I don't know why... Also, it would be great if your CCStarter had an option to include WinApp3.ini too (the "dangerous" stuff).

It would be nice to know exactly what Piriform (or Avast) did to make CCleaner start so slow. Is it a hard-coded feature?

8. wilenty

Jan 15, 2014
    #8 wilenty, Jun 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    (OP)
    It is difficult to answer your questions clearly, but I will try to explain as best as I can.

At first I will answer for your second question.
    To be honest, Avast added the telemetry in versions of CCleaner after Piriform, which the program sends to the owner at the program starts. I really don't like programs, which at the beginning "connect to the mother" and share unknown data about you and your computer, after that you can use it...

And, for rest of the questions.
    How I can provide the demo of it for you? I may cut every second entry from original ini file, or I can leave only first and last five entries? But, then you write that the program does not works as you are expected. There is one known problem: "how to learn drive on bicycle, without the bicycle?".
    Most of the programs you know, trims the WinAPP2.ini/WinAPP3.ini basically once, and they creates a copy of original *.ini file. So, if you run the Portable version of CC, you need to restore the backup file before and trim it again on every computer you execute it. Also, on the computer programs changes most of the time, but the trimmed WinAPP2.ini not. CCstarter works in other way, but I don't want to describe the details here. So, always the WinAPP2.ini file is the same before and after closing CCstarter.
    I don't added the WinAPP3.ini intentionally, because it can be dangerous for most of the users. But, if you want to to add it, I can do it at your request. But, please support my work.

I'm not going to lie to you to get a few bucks, that's not the point (I don't want to lose my reputation in this way).
    Please check the "7-Zip Theme Manager (remake of version 2.1)" on my GitHub and compare my program with the owner program, for surely you will see the differences... The same, if I wrote that the Demo of VC++ installer executes maximum two operations, that's the true, I don't want to lie to you and anyone else.

9. adric

adric MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2009
    block this in your hosts file to regain fast-startup :
    Code:
    # Network Connectivity Check
    0.0.0.0 ncc.avast.com
    0.0.0.0 ncc.avast.com.edgesuite.net

To stop telemetry and tracker use:
    Code:
    # Telemetry & Tracker
    0.0.0.0 ipm-provider.ff.avast.com
    0.0.0.0 shepherd.ff.avast.com
    0.0.0.0 ip-info.ff.avast.com
    0.0.0.0 analytics.ff.avast.com

10. DirtyAngelicaSecured

Mar 30, 2020
    WOW! It worked! Thanks!

11. sukov_blyatkov

sukov_blyatkov MDL Novice

Sep 17, 2017
    How to remove "upgrade" icon like yours in the picture above?

12. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #12 kaljukass, Jul 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  13. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
  14. darkrats

darkrats MDL Junior Member

Dec 16, 2012
    I still use version 4.17 (free) to remove all temporary files and histories, and to remove leftover registry files.
    It works perfectly on my Windows 7 machine. Once you find a version of any software that does what you want, why upgrade at all?