CCleaner's usage on Windows has become obsolete

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by WIKIMACK, Aug 5, 2016.

1. WIKIMACK

WIKIMACK MDL Expert

Nov 10, 2011
  2. BrianCohen

BrianCohen Guest

works great on 7. i back it up and run it as a portable and keep the settings ini with it. jv16s reg cleaner is better than cc cleaning the reistry though.

3. WIKIMACK

WIKIMACK MDL Expert

Nov 10, 2011
    only Windows 10

wiki;)

4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Do they pay you well for this malicious propaganda?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    I had been using it for 10 years on XP without problems. But I did avoid its registry cleaner, as well as any other registry cleaner. I haven't tried it on Windows 10 yet, and you've made me scared.

I agree that the Windows Disk Cleanup tool would not cause problems, but it can't do what CCleaner does. For example, it can't selectively clear cookies, leaving the ones you want untouched. Furthermore, before running CCleaner, I always ran the Windows tool first, and then CCleaner would find a lot more stuff left behind by the former.

6. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    #6 TairikuOkami, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    From my experience, just run CCleaner and 90% problems magically disappear, it is like a Swiss knife.
    Besides, CCleaner is mostly a browser cleaner, not a system one, like WiseCare or DiskCleanup.
    As always, they mention reg cleaner, which is so primitively basic in CCleaner, that it is safe.:coffee:

CCleaner does, whatever the user wants. It is like saying, porsche sucks, because it can go faster that is a speed limit. :facepalm:

7. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    well... Porsche does suck ;)

8. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Very well put.....

I am also using for more than a decade an find ccleaner quite rasonable, it does its job well.
    I NEVER, not once had a porblem using the registry cleaner. I am not very good with computers, but even I can recognize what it is it will delete... but I cannot recommend the Pro version, sniffs aroudn too much and sends home too much.

9. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Hello EFA... I am happy to read stuff like this from people who have great insight.

How about it? I swap you my ccleaner for your Porsche?

Oh? You do not have one? Never had one? I see....

Has been nice meeting you!

10. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
    For a start, programs should not use the registry! It is a harrowing management model. Software should only handle your own folders and not change anything in the system that were not the expressed will of its users.

You do not want to use the program anymore? Just delete his folder, done. That's not how it is, but it is as it should be. The Registry is an abstraction of .ini files, mostly store information in plain text.

Prefer portable programs and your Windows life will be much easier. No pain heads or scares. Let the registry for those programs that still think that is important. No he's not. It is better not to use it! :p

*Yes, I use CCleaner and Bit Bleach, but mostly to delete temporary. My Registry prefer not access it whenever possible.

cheers

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    Aww another chip on the shoulder. Actually, I do and an F150. Come seem me when you hit puberty :D

12. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    While this is largely true, it does enable certain items by default that it shouldn't and thus puts at a disadvantage inexperienced users. From what I read, an example is bypassing UAC.

And Porsche does suck, capital and fuel as a minimum. ;)

13. stylemessiah

stylemessiah MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    I have 35+ years in IT, professionally

CCleaner is definitely a program i advise people, especially the great unwashed, to avoid.

Its is second only to viruses/trojans etc in ita ability to hose a system...usually due to the registry and windows cleaning abilities...

I have a simple rule if some poor sod brings me a PC to fix and i find CCleaner on it, i'll fix it, but if you reinstall CCleaner and break it again, please take it somewhere else.....

14. Dark Knight

Dark Knight MDL Senior Member

Jul 14, 2013
  15. BobSheep

BobSheep MDL Guru

Apr 19, 2010
    Yep, happened to me. Couldn't boot afterwards and had to rebuild MBR and boot sector.

16. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    In addition to never using the registry cleaner, never use the duplicate files cleaner. That is another item that can do irreparable damage to your system. Why they would ever include such a dangerous item is beyond me.

17. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    i never had any luck or good results with ccleaner....i think is garbage.

18. dudeluv

dudeluv MDL Senior Member

Aug 7, 2012
    I have to agree with you on that. ccleaner has never done any good for me

19. Leslie_Coffelt

Leslie_Coffelt MDL Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Never had a problem with CCleaner, even Windows 10. And yes, I am a schill for Piriform. Every month they send me $1,000,000 in small, unmarked coins.