CD contents not visible (Windows 10)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by soamz, Aug 5, 2016.

1. soamz

soamz MDL Senior Member

Mar 12, 2011
    My friend gave me a audio CD.
    It plays when we insert it, but when the CD we want to browse the files, it shows 1KB.

How do we browse the files and copy from CD to my PC desktop ?

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  4. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
    #6 ofernandofilo, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    The Redbook-Standard for AudioCDs does not have any file system. The *.cda files are created virtually by Windows, as reference only (for the WMP or their CD Player on Win9x - does that one still exist?). Actually there are no files at all, Audio data is organized into sessions, tracks, sectors, blocks and and indexed by a time code like hh:mm:ss:bb. Those CDA rippers instruct the optical drive to extract the raw CDA data and organize them into files. Beware, AudioCD copy protection (Cactus Data Shield, Key2Audio) do exist.

Yes, you had to work for your music in the pre-MP3-age. :p

6. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    You're right. I can copy-paste, see the icon of the audio player on the pasted copy, but it won't play.

Well, that's another step backward from my old XP. Never had this problem, I don't remember if the facility was native or was added later.

7. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
    #9 ofernandofilo, Aug 5, 2016
    But it works exactly the same since on Windows 98SE, Windows ME, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1.

You could have a program to do the automatic ripping process installed on your machine. But this feature has never been native to the system. Several versions of Windows Media Player allow you to save audio CDs in various formats, including mp3, tho.

No need to even install third-party tools.

cheers

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. RobertJ

RobertJ MDL Senior Member

Apr 4, 2014
  9. RobertJ

Apr 4, 2014
    #12 RobertJ, Aug 5, 2016
    He's already figured out that FE doesn't allow audio CD contents to be simply copied, and then decided to post here, when IMO he could have simply searched the net and got the answer far quicker. But clearly you believe that spoon-feeding is great.

Added to it by whom? If you think MS did it despite 11 years of using it then clearly you don't remember how audio CDs worked in XP. And if a third party added that feature to your system (which as a veteran user you should have known was the case), then clearly your comment about Win10 being a downgrade in this regard was completely dumb.

Only a troll would immediately try to call others one. Criticism is very different from trolling, but naturally I don't expect you to know that given your level of reading comprehension.

10. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    ˄˄˄
    As if needed, you’ve confirmed that you lack basic comprehension of what you read, which renders it pointless to write any more to or about you. And as I’ve come here for intelligent interaction and not to deal with your outward expression of inner complexes, I hereby stop paying any further attention to you. It would be ideal if you also leave me alone as I intend to do with you. Hopefully you can understand this simple message, I’ve stressed it to facilitate you.

11. RobertJ

Apr 4, 2014
    You're absolutely right, it's pointless expecting any sort of interaction remotely approaching an intelligent one with you. vBulletin has an ignore function I'm sure you know about, so feel free to use that and ignore uncomfortable facts.

Oh Bat, you love this sort of thing, don't you? Bad Bat! :D j/k

12. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

BeOS had this feature in the AD 1998, many Linux distros since then does that as well, but MS is too busy in adding idiotic square apps to notice and try to clone that feature.

13. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    I'm wondering what this thread has to do with Windows 10.

14. RobertJ

Apr 4, 2014
    It's part of WMP (at least last time I ever touched WMP it was). I don't suppose it makes too much sense now because physical media for music has almost died out, and movies, games etc. are also going the same way.

15. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
    #19 ofernandofilo, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  16. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Physical media being dead or not in 2016 isn't so relevant. They had two decades of time since the HW became powerful enough to do the task.

Obviusly the WMP had te ripping capability at one point, but there where already a zillion of good cd rippers when it was released.

The point is not to rip a CD, the point is to do it seamlessly as an user expects, hence the OP.