Change a Server 2008 Retail to OEM?

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Jockeman, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Jockeman

Jockeman MDL Novice

Feb 1, 2010
    Is it possible to change a Microsoft Server 2008 Retail to OEM?

The problem is that I can't activate the OEM product key on the Retail version.
    And i'm not very interested in a reinstallation of the server.
    So if anyone have a solution to this little problem i would appreciate very much.

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Because you do NOT activate.
    You have to have:

SLIC 2.0 + SLP OEM Key + certificate that corresponds to the SLIC

Read stickies, all is explained over & over & over & over

sebus

3. chianf092

chianf092 MDL Senior Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Sebus is right you can not activate an OEM key, it will state it's invalid. A quick browse in the server section and you will have all the answers you need. But yes it's very easy to switch from Retail or KMS to OEM.

4. superchc

superchc MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2010
    i have similar question, but i need to use it leagally, i installed MSDN version before on a dell R710 Server, i tested everything and find that the windows server 2008 R2 can run my software. i need to sell the system to my client, they would like to buy same model dell computer with OEM windows 2008 R2. i don't want to reinstall everything, can i clone my system to they computer and use the OEM key to activate the windows 2008 R2? (don't want to crack via SLIC). some one said that it is possible but some one said no. anyone tried this on Windows 2008 R2?

Q2: Do anyone have dell widnows 2008R2 OEM Disk? of the $OEM$ folder? i googled, but can only find a BT source, but it have no seed now. Edonkey, Foxy all can't find Dell disk now.

5. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    All the Dell version will have is some updated drivers and wallpapers. Just install a fresh copy of R2 eval into a VM, install the Dell Cert and Key. sysprep the machine and capture an image and deploy that image to the new server. If it won't let you sysprep then just run Windows backup and take an image with system state capture then boot off the R2 DVD and restore the image to the new box.

6. superchc

superchc MDL Novice

Feb 13, 2010
    sounds good.
    but i still need to install my software in the eval version.
    do any one tried to put a Dell/HP/LEnovo OEM key to computer which installed with MSND disk?

7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    What HP/LEnovo OEM key?

Ther is ONLY Dell 2008 R2 keys available!

sebus

8. fgriffith

fgriffith MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2010
    Can you make the unit think it is a Dell?