Change BIOS in Parallels VM 6+ Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Rockon, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Rockon

Rockon MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2011
    I moved my Windows 7 (Toshiba Protege R700) to Parallels 6 VM on MAC OS. And the BIOS details in my Virtual machine are being setup differently than the values on my toshiba Laptop.

Parallels for MAC has SMBIOS information setup to something other than what was on my TOSHIBA.
    screen-capture-7.jpg

I tried looking some way to MOD the Bios sued inside Parallels but no luck so far.
    Can someone help me in right direction.

2. Rockon

Rockon MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2011
    I tried CD-ldr that you suggested but

1. it seems this is to activate windows but would it change the BIOS information Parallels created for the VM? i am attaching the SMBIOS dump of my VM with all hardware marked as Parallels virtual machine.

2. Other than just changing the SLIC, can cd-slic ldr method be used to replace SMBIOS information inside a VM?

I may be wrong, but other 2 also looked windows loaders to avtivate windows, not specifically something that would help to change SMBIOS information for a VM.

Tried working out with PAralales forum as well but got stonewalled (i think for obvious reasons). They don't want people to be changing anything.

h**p://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?p=563476#post563476

Tried asking on stackoverflow and superuser forums but got an indication that it has to be handled by experts who deal with BIOS modding:

h**p://stackoverflow.com/questions/8525081/can-value-for-win32-computersystemproduct-be-changed

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    But what do you actually need to have changed?

And what for? (what is your goal)

sebus

4. Rockon

Rockon MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2011
    Following 5 SMBIOS details. In process of migrating my toshiba laptop over to Parallels VM, this information is getting changed, which is changed by Parallels during SMBIOS setup for the VM.

I have network mangement software setup to identify laptops through serial numbers in BIOS and if this information changes my VM cannot be on network.

screen-capture-5.jpg

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    So you are most likely in losing position, as (you already noticed) Parallels is not actively worked on.
    They do NOT use proper BIOS, they have some sort of they own implementation (unknown to the rest of us)

Maybe you can ask your network guys to make the change for you? (might be easier)

sebus

6. Rockon

Rockon MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2011
    I dumped BIOS through RW-everything and it indicated BIOS conforms SMBIOS v2.3.

View attachment SMBIOS.zip

Any thoughts?

I am the network admin myself in this case. We bought parallels for our employees to reduce dependency on multiple laptops and to aggregate and minimize our hardware footprint. The exercise i am involved with is our Lab.

Problem is if IdentifyingNumber remains as above (formated as UUID) and customization is not possible, our other Asset tracking softwares won't work (or possibly need changes/customizations and additional money).

7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    But as I said, it is Parallels own implementation, which can not be customized.
    And I am sure you would not want to to hack it... to use in production environment

sebu

8. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Anybody ever managed to add SLIC to BIOS/UEFI?

Thanks

sebus