Change Bios so Recovery Cds Work on dv6-6135dx

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by woodmistere, Mar 15, 2013.

1. woodmistere

woodmistere MDL Novice

Mar 15, 2013
    #1 woodmistere, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
    Hey Guys,
    I just spent about 5 hours trying to wade through these forums. I got here from some google searches and I think it's where I need to be.

What I have is a laptop, HP dv6-6135dx. It has a Insyde Bios, on version F.21 (if version matters).

The problem i'm having is that my laptop is refurbished. I didn't know this when I bought it, but it is.
    I just purchased a new Vector 256gb for it, but I can't run the HP Recovery on it. I have other windows I could put on it, not a problem, but I'd like to put the OEM back on it.

The problem comes from it being refurbished, and it's tattooed apparently and won't let me install the recovery disks.

The recovery is looking for: LW262UA#ABA, but my laptop is reading: LW262UAR#ABA

I just need to get inside the bios and at that fricken R. Or take it away? Or do something!?

Really, I don't know much about this particular... I do repairs on computers for a hobby, but you guys have got some serious knowledge. So please, if you can help, let me know. I imagine it's as simple as making a USB bootable drive, loading it, and adding or subtracting an R somewhere in there.

Please let me know.

Thanks!

ps. not the only person having this problem! :)

search for... 30824-dv6-6135dx-recovery-disks-not-working... in the forums.

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    when using NBDmiAFit u can use SHift F1 to get to advanced menu to change that sku.

4. woodmistere

woodmistere MDL Novice

Mar 15, 2013
    Okay sweet.. I'll go toy around in there for a bit and see if i can screw things up. ! :) Thanks for your quick response!

5. woodmistere

woodmistere MDL Novice

Mar 15, 2013
    alright, so i formatted a USB drive with the HP USB disk storage utility thing.
    I copied and pasted the contents of that zip file on the flash drive.

When i boot into it, it comes up like it's running and then give's me a warning:
    - InitDiskWARNING: using suspect partition Pri:1 FS 0e: with calculated values 62-40-8 instead of 61-254-61
    C: HD1, Pri[ 1], CHS= 0-1-1, start= 0MB, size= 488
    illegal partition table - drive 01 sector 0

Freecom version 0.82 pl 3 XMS_Swap [Date 10 2003 06:49:21]
    Bad command or filename - "\autoexec.bat".

and then it drops me to C:

wow, i typed that whole thing, so if there are some typos, sorry...

So, what's up? Does it want me to have the original drive?
    Does it want me to have a partition on the new SSD I have in there?

I wouldn't think that either of those two things are right because it's only deals i thought, with the bios.

Anyways, please let me know.

Also, i'm using the HP Recovery because i'd like to check out some stock drivers before cannibalize it. This HP has dual graphics, switchable, and few drivers work with that, so I want to do some work with it.

:)

6. woodmistere

woodmistere MDL Novice

Mar 15, 2013
    Bam.. :) So i figured it out I think :) at least, i got something to run!

holy shinanigans.. i think i got it!!! if that fixed it, i just might cry... seriously. i love you guys, here goes the test!

7. woodmistere

woodmistere MDL Novice

Mar 15, 2013
    haha.. well, i thought it worked.. at least it's installing now.. :)

but I have tried twice now to run through my 4 install dvd's.. and in the end, it has given me the:

[205] UIA write failed 3 times !!!

error. I have no idea what this is.. I think it might be trying to match the size of the new drive to the size of the old drive.. absolutely retarded crap HP.. seriously, you didn't think that one out very well did ya.

Anyone know how to fix this? I know we're out of the realm of fixing my bois, but does anyone by chance know how to fix that error i'm getting so I can put the OEM HP recovery disks on this machine?

Thanks in advance.

8. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009