Change from GPT-Bios to UEFI without CSM

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by spacednow, Nov 29, 2021.

1. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    I have 7 installed on a gpt disc - it hangs up when I disable CSM. So I've looked around a LOT, everything talks about changing MBR to GPT. I have it properly installed on GPT. I have 7, 10, and 11 on multi-boot without real issues, but its uefi with CSM. When you boot into 10 or 11 and check system info it says uefi boot. Looking at the partitions they are all set up properly as GPT. FTPM is enabled and trusted computing, secure boot isn't.
    Everything is fine, I gave up installing it in pure uefi- i could get to the 4 colors on boot and it hangs...same as it does after install when I disable CSM. I didn't foresee a problem, because it made me delete the partition and create a GPT disk for install so I thought it should boot fine with CSM disabled after install. Took many HOURS to get it installed and find some of the drivers.
    There must be simple command prompts for this, as all the sites talk about changing MBR to GPT and making it bootable in UEFI at the same time with command prompts. I'm learning about all this but I must be missing something - I can't figure out which prompts to use if it's already GPT. Please help.
    Also, when I disable CSM and select 10 or 11 from the boot screen instead of 7 - they load OK.

Asrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4
    Ryzen R5 3600
    16gb G.Skill memory
    Radeon RX550
    Samsung Nvme (7 Boot drive)
    Samsung Evo Ssd
    Crucial Ssd (has 11 first, 16mb other partition, then 10 -installed last)
    WD 2gb Gold HDD
    PCIe usb 3 card for extra internal header
    DVDM drive
    Multi reader with MANY internal connectors

**Unrelated but useful knowledge. If you kill a ryzen processor it will make the motherboard appear COMPLETELY dead. Personally verified on B450 and B550 asrock boards**

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
  3. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Yeah, I scanned thru that before posting. I had been trying about 14 hours yesterday already before I got here. I must just be a software selling point because it's everywhere when you google it. It just added to my understanding of my lack of knowledge. It's confusing because windows loads all kind of drivers after booting and UEFI has no problems displaying anything. The bios screen is quite "flashy". Seems so close when you try booting in UEFI. I guess it's not really a problem- windows 7 runs quite well on the new hardware once you get the drivers lined out. As long as secure boot capable is a requirement but doesn't have to be enabled it's all good. I'm almost tempted to redo things so I can just select the bios boot option and seperate windows 7 from 10 and 11. Especially since it doesn't take long to change from 1 saved bios settings to another or load it from a USB when booting. I've wasted to much time on this already.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ExtremeGrief

ExtremeGrief MDL Addicted

Jun 2, 2020
    It's impossible to get it without CSM on a Lexa GPU afaik. I have same GPU, RX 550 and have tried a lot.