Change icon in .exe file in Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ciscokid, Nov 11, 2009.

1. ciscokid

ciscokid MDL Senior Member

Jun 3, 2007
    I'm running Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and I have the .exe setup files for PowerISO 4.2 and PowerISO 4.6.

The desktop icon it installs with 4.2 is perfect, the 4.6 icon is all screwed up, it's like they didn't finish drawing the icon. Is it possible to extract the icon from the 4.2 exe and paste it into the 4.6 exe in Windows 7? I want to be able to install 4.6 and get the 4.2 icon.

Thanks!

2. eaponte23

eaponte23 MDL Member

Sep 29, 2008
    This has happened to me a handful of times. People say it's from Windows Updates.... I don't really know what causes it. I've noticed it since the beta releases and maybe even Vista. Anyways, try right-clicking and "change icon". If your lucky it sticks, if not I usually re-install App and/or restart. Usually works for me. Happens alot to CCleaner, Acronis amongst others.

It's a pain in the arse, I know....:mad:

3. ciscokid

ciscokid MDL Senior Member

Jun 3, 2007
    I figured it out. I used a resource editor to extract the .ico file from 4.2, I installed 4.6 then changed the icon to the extracted one. Looks much better now. :)

4. GurliGebis

GurliGebis MDL Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Resource editor can do it yes.

It is not recommended for some program, if they are digitally signed, since it will break the signature. (And some software depends on it's digital signature being valid).