Change Office 2016 Icon

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by oggy, Dec 30, 2018.

1. oggy

oggy MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2012
    Hello,

I want to know if it's possible to change the Outlook.exe or Word.exe Icon.
    Not create a shortcut but the real program icon.

Thanks

2. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. oggy

oggy MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2012
    Thanks, but it's for a shortcut, in the main program I don't have the shortcut tab

4. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Oke you mean the excutable then don't know if that is possible

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. oggy

oggy MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2012
    Yes, the executable.
    If a create a shortcut and I pin it to the Strart Screen no matter the icon I put to the shortcut I have the original Outlook Icon.
    Sorry for my English

6. oggy

oggy MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2012
    In fact I need a custom shortcut for Outlook in my Start Screen. I think if I can change the exe icon it would be ok

7. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #7 kaljukass, Dec 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    all icon sare usually stored in the .exe file or in specific .dll file. So, if You want to change them, You must repack one of them or if You have some program, what can replace the default icon, then it is possible. Common users cannot do it.
    If You want to change what ever shortcut or link icon, then there You can use what ever You want. But You must know, if this is icon or it is thumbnail.
    If it is changed, then usually You must restart explorer or whole computer. But sometimes even it isn't enough, You must also clean up icon cache.

8. foxyrick

foxyrick MDL Member

Aug 25, 2011
    I do not see why creating shortcut, and changing the icon on the shortcut as shown above is not enough.

However, if you really want to change the executable's icon, search for "resource hacker".

9. oggy

oggy MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2012
    Thanks for your reply.
    Changing the shortcut icon is not enough cause if I pin it to the start Screen it's the original Outlook Icon I see not the one I've changed

10. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    On Windows 10 Start screen is no icons, that is the reason why You can't it change.

11. foxyrick

foxyrick MDL Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Understood... I'm not familiar with Windows 10 yet. Investigate Resource Hacker then and see if it can change the actual graphic embedded inside the exe.

12. foxyrick

foxyrick MDL Member

Aug 25, 2011
    #12 foxyrick, Dec 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    I just tried using Resource Hacker to change the Outlook 2016 exe icon in a windows 10 VM - so far it seems to have worked fine.
    1. Make a backup copy of outlook.exe, just in case
    2. Install Resource Hacker (RH)
    3. Open outlook.exe with RH
    4. Click the 'icon' folder on the left side in RH
    5. Click 'Action' from the top menu and select 'change icon'
    6. Browse through the icons it lists that you can change
    7. Click 'Open file with a new icon' and choose an .ico file or other icon resource to replace the chosen icon
    8. Click the Save button to save outlook .exe.
    You might also need to change other icons in there until you find the one used for pinning, or maybe restart or clear the icon cache. I got it to change what was shown on the executable, but it still used the old icon when pinned. I'm sure you'll work it out though.

13. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    You can try, but most likely is the result damaged .exe file, so don't forgot to backup the original.

14. foxyrick

foxyrick MDL Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Too slow ;)

See my post above - it works so far and has not complained about the change. I thought it might break it too though...

15. oggy

oggy MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2012
    Thanks, I'll try that