Changed Motherboard now performance is down for gaming

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by sreyan32, Aug 26, 2018.

1. sreyan32

sreyan32 MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2013
    Motherboard: Gigabyte
    Video card: GTX 650

I recently had to change my motherboard due to faulty hardware. Now my performance for graphics intensive applications is way down.

I had to manually restore my registry from the RegBack folder to even boot into my PC. I have tried updating the device drivers but it made to difference.

My guess is because the drivers for the previous motherboard still exist in the OS memory and might be causing the performance issues.

Will a sysprep help here?

Can I do a repair install of Windows without losing my installed applications? I might need to reactivate but I don't want to set up my workstation from scratch again.

Let me know if any further information required from my side.

Any suggestions?

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Did you re-install your operating system?
    What is the model number of the old board and the model number of the new board?
    If you did not re-install your operating system, and if the boards are different models you may need to install the right chipset drivers for the new board

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sreyan32

sreyan32 MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2013
    No I have not reinstalled my operating system. I really don't want to do that. Thats why I am wondering if the chipset drivers of the old board is clashing with the new one.

My previous mother board was Gigabyte H77M-D3H

My new motherboard is Gigabyte B75M-S

Will a sysprep help here?

Can I do a repair install by just reinstalling and not my applications?

4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #4 Joe C, Aug 26, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    You can certainly try that but there is no guarantee that certain apps will work after you do that.
    Just make a back up of your drivers,data and software you can even back up your cookies and bookmarks so getting back to your web sites will be less painless. You can download the newest drivers from the pc's web site. If it's a custom build then get the new drivers from the board manufacture's web site. Then you can do a "clean" install. Your performance would be better than using the "dirty" install your using now.
    By "clean" install, that would mean formatting the entire drive and installing a fresh windows on the hard/ssd drive.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. perceivedelusion

perceivedelusion MDL Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Definitely different Chipset.

6. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Have you checked the cpu and gpu temperature while doing those intensive tasks? A different board shouldn't make that much of a difference unless it's throttling