changes on compaq cq50 bios

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by reup, Oct 20, 2009.

1. reup

reup MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    hello all,

first :
    I am a neebie on bios issues even if I am very comfortable with hardware and software (so I might understand heavy technical details)

now, I moved to brazil and bought myself a compaq cq50-112 with Vista home (32b) on it. that was the only offer available, and the first think I did was to remove the hard drive (I still have it) and insert a better one on which I installed Linux

now, trying to use VirtualBox, I discover that the BIOS is all greyed out and I cannot activate the hardware virtualization (64 bit) in the bios, so none of the 64 bit OS are available to me

I have to admit it is my fault, I am an innocent and do not understand capitalism, I cannot imagine that someone would sell a 64b processor (Intel T3200 dualcore) blocked to 32b

reading here and there, it seems that this forum is full of people with knowledge on how to unblock this kind of issue

so please, could someone point me to the right direction ? how can I change my settings in MY BIOS (really, it is mine, I paid for it :))

2. reup

reup MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    nobody ? :(

3. reup

reup MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    partly solved

for who might be interrested, I spoke with the HP support team. here is what came out

the BIOS is grayed out and this they don't know why, they suggest a faulty motherboard. I will try to upgrade the BIOS and see if I get something different

the BIOS is supposed to switch to 64b or 32b depending of the OS used, so I booted from a linux 64B livecd and it worked. so it is true

the only issue I found is that when using 32b OS, I should be able to use VirtualBox and boot some 64b guest OS, but for this I need to have "Hardware Virtualization" enable in the BIOS and I cannot do it due to the "grayed" issue

anyway, HP support was very cool, and tried to help so I would recommend everyone to not hesitate to contact them if needed

reup

4. Ichinisan

Ichinisan MDL Novice

Dec 15, 2009
    Your CPU doesn't support Hardware Virtualization.

I have a CQ50-139WM, here is what Intel's processor ID utility says: (Underlined)