Changing OEM Windows7 from 64bit back to 32bit.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mgillespie, Oct 7, 2011.

1. mgillespie

mgillespie MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2009
    Hi, I have a friend who bought and Acer desktop system that came with Windows 7 64bit, and it's not compatible with a critical bit of hardware, so he has asked me if I can put 32bit Windows7 on it instead.

I told him it would mean a wipe as there is no upgrade/downgrade route, and he is fine with that.

The problem is the licensing. I have an "all versions" Windows 7 disk, and his PC has an Acer OEM Windows 7 licence sticker on it. Is it just a case of putting the number in? Do I need to make a copy of oembios and anything else before I wipe it?

questions questions.... Anyone done this? I find it criminal at companies no longer provide installation media.....

Thanks for any help...

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  3. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Theres no need to use a loader. Just use the sticker key- if it fails to activate online, you'll need to call up MS and they'll activate for you.

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Not the greatest of information every time you do that you use up an activation why do you think we advocate OEM:SLP method.

5. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Use up an activation? The sticker key can activate unlimited no. of times on that particular machine.