Changing System variables

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ceo54, Nov 18, 2019.

1. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    Hi,

I want my %Resources%\Themes folder to be buried somewhere deep within %programData% folder. I understand I need to add/edit the system variables. I"m not sure how can I go about this. I will also have to make the dependencies to work accordingly, most notably the corresponding registry entries.

Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes]
    "InstallTheme"="%SystemRoot%\\Resources\\Themes\\Default.theme"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes]
    "CurrentTheme"="%SystemRoot%\\Resources\\Themes\\Default.theme"
    I can take care of the .theme file myself referencing correctly to theme resources (msstyle, Wallpapers etc) paths.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Edit: I plan to do this in Audit mode and copy profile from there so any changes will be permanent and for all users..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    hmm what you intend to go far beyond manipulate data from the% ProgramData% in this way is hard to explain because it involves much more "stuff" than you think such as Windows corresponding ADK the version of Windows you're running, Visual Studio, registry manipulation etc. you still need to remember that Windows 10 works differently from what you were used to in Windows 7 or even Windows 8.1 for example the icons of windows 10 are elsewhere in C: \ Windows \ System32 and so on hope someone here can help you

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015

Hi @Tiger-1 I only intend to move the Windows default theme folder somewhere deep inside % ProgramData%. That' is all. I'm Windows 8.1 hence the thread in Windows 8 section. I'm not entirely sure but I think apart from the registry entries I mentioned in the original post, there aren't any other dependencies corresponding to the path of the \Themes\ folder. I just don't know how to add the variables and manage the dependencies such as these registries in my case.

I hope so too someone helps me out. Thank you.