Changing to Beta Insider Branch on Unsupported PCs

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by bromanbro, Aug 8, 2021.

1. bromanbro

bromanbro MDL Member

Sep 30, 2012
    I had to use regedit to enroll in the dev branch, and since my system isn't supported, I can't change to the beta branch. How do I change to the beta branch from Dev using regedit? I tried the BCDedit CMD suggestion from MSFT but didn't work.

2. jsmith242

jsmith242 MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2014
    I think you'll have to use the OfflineInsiderEnroll tool in this case to switch channels

3. SAM-R

SAM-R MDL Guru

Mar 21, 2015
    If either Beta_Channel or Release Preview is greyed out on the Windows Insider Page in Windows Update, you can't change.

4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #5 kaljukass, Aug 8, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    No, it's not fully true, you can go to the Beta channel and you don't need to change anything in the registry, just choose what updates you want to receive from the settings.
    But it's true that the RTM and release channel will probably no longer be possible, because Microsoft has promised to block all options.
    There is currently no point or need to go to the Beta channel, as Beta and Dev are still identical. Maybe something will change with the next update.
    Personally, I'm on the Beta channel right now, I've been on the Dev channel so far, and the channels can be changed at any time, nothing turns gray. The only thing is that the channel change will take effect from the next updates that come after the change.
    If something have grayed up, it is recommended to do a clean installation because any other method won't still fix anything. They only sais that everything is OK or found something but can't fix some of them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Eorxroa

Eorxroa MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2011
    Unfortunately, Beta Channel on Unsupported Hardware doesn't support TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot.
    Beta Channel is require TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot only with Minimum Processor 8th Gen Intel and AMD Zen 2.
    Dev Channel is not require TPM 2.0 and Secure Boot with any old processor.

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Once on 22000.xxx there is no need for any IP channel, updates are offered without the need for it and they don't check for the minimum requirements either, atm.

Only people who are on lower builds like 21996.1 or 1904x.xxxx need to be enrolled into the beta channel, only to get 22000.xxx offered on WU, when using a fixed ISO you don't need to be enrolled into any IP channel either.

You can still switch channels by using https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...without-microsoft-account.80145/#post-1670528.

7. SAM-R

SAM-R MDL Guru

Mar 21, 2015
    Not for me. I am Locked in the Dev_Channel on WU.

WU_WIP.jpg

8. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Sorry, very interesting. I have it on an Asus T12FG, released in 2006 and bought on the same year. Do you really think there is already a TPM 2.0 installed and an 8 generation processor inside?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...