Changing Windows edition

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by sacarias, Nov 22, 2018.

1. sacarias

sacarias MDL Junior Member

Nov 21, 2018
    Hello. New here, hope this is the right sub-forum.

Since a couple of releases ago, Windows 10 official MS ISO now ships a single one including all editions, instead of several ISOs with one or two editions (Home and Pro, Single Language, etc).

While this represented an advantage, it also means I'm stuck with my rig's default Windows license, which is Home Single Language, at least by default (Windows installation automatically takes the license if available). I'd need to manually enter the other edition's license (Pro in my case) *after* installation.

It's the first time I realize. And I was wondering, isn't there a way to "unlock" the edition selector in Windows 10 installer anymore?

Thanks beforehand.

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Put in this ei.cfg inside "iso:\sources" folder:
    Code:
    [Channel]
    _Default
    [VL]

It will let you select the desired sku at initial setup.

3. sacarias

Nov 21, 2018
    Thanks very much.
    There are indeed several hits about ei.cfg in Google, just I had no idea about the file at all.

I got the official MS ISO file from their website, and also burned in a DVD.
    But, for *correctly* making the change into the ISO -which is just adding a file in this case- such that I burn new ISO in DVD and it boots, do I necessarily need a 3rd party software such as UltraISO, or can this be done just by mounting it in Windows 10?

Thanks again.

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  5. z110110

z110110 MDL Junior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    ADK make one. unattend.xml, Fully Automatic Installation

6. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    I don't use DVDs anymore since they get lost or scratched or outdated and added to a landfill. I use a USB drive. Simply 7Zip the ISO into a new folder on your desktop then add the ei.cfg file. If updating from a copy of windows just run setup as Admin. To install on a Puter without a running OS, I'll just copy and paste everything in that new folder to a Fat32 Formatted USB drive.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. z110110

z110110 MDL Junior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    #7 z110110, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    I've never used DVD. Our installation is to write Winpe to USB device.
    From ISO copy install.wim to USB
    Start from a USB device.
    Installation of install.wim is convenient.
    The backup system can also be wim/esd, which can be restored at any time.
    I don't seem to see anybody talking about this here.

8. sacarias

Nov 21, 2018
    I see...
    So using DVDs is no longer considered a solution nowadays...

But, if I want to just modify the ISO file, while keeping its ISO file format, can this be done with Windows 10 tools, or do I still need 3rd party tools?

Also, tool in mr urie's link doesn't explicitly mention it works for Home editions...

Thanks very much again.

9. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Lots of Branded Puters, Laptops and All Tablets Don't come with a optical drive installed. While It Won't be an ISO, (And I don't know cause I never tried it) You could hit Home, Select All and sent the contents of the New Folder to your drive and try creating a Data Disc if you feel adventurous ? Who Knows ? But NO Windows doesn't come with Tools to create a ISO. You still need 3rd party tools

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Tool can create any Windows ISO from a folder containing the Setup files.

In 'CFG TOOLS' tab use 'CHECK FILE' button left side and point to your ISO. It will do a short check.

Next use 'BROWSE' button beneath and point to a folder the ISO files will be copied to.

Press the 'COPY ISO' button left of 'BROWSE' and wait for the process to end.

At bottom use <EI.CFG> button to generate generic ei.cfg file in the setup folder.

Last press 'CREATE ISO' to start the process, it will ask for a folder to place the ISO into and start the creation.

11. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Doggie to the rescue again :) Never thought about ocdimg, that's a Windows tool instead of 3rd party :oops:

12. sacarias

Nov 21, 2018
    What tool are you talking about? Mr urie's?

13. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Mentioned tool is my abomination ;).

14. sacarias

Nov 21, 2018
    Ah sorry.
    Since I'm in a revived formerly destroyed crappy laptop (with Windows 10), even opening tabs in browser can represent a death blue screen...