Changing Windows Shutdown Screen

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by spacednow, Apr 26, 2012.

1. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Internet search is useless.All I can find is programs and videos that claim to change the shutdown screen- but they ALL only do the login screen. I know its possible- I've done it but I can't remember how. Reinstalled windows but my other drive still has a different screen when shutting down- nice naked lady, LOL. I probably seen the tip here but can't find it. Seems like it involved adding a registry key and changing a file in a folder. Help please if anyone knows howo_O

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I think the login screen & the screen showing while shutdown is same; isn't it??

:D

3. Windows Fan

Windows Fan MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2012
    yes. login screen and shutdown screen are same.

4. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Thats where the registry key came in....... allows you to add a different screen. I'll keep looking, I probably saved it somewhere.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    #5 Tito, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Code:
    ; display custom background logon-logoff image (make sure less than 256kb)
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background]
    "OEMBackground"=dword:00000001

; display custom background logon-logoff image (apply to all themes)
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System]
    "UseOEMBackground"=dword:00000001

The image should be placed at \windows\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds and named as BACKGROUNDDEFAULT.jpg

:)

6. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Wow, been looking for this for HOURS. Hats off to you.:worthy:

7. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    #8 spacednow, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
    (OP)
    Nope, sorry..didn't do it. The one I'm looking for adds a different screen for shutting down:( EDIT: My major DUH evidently. Probably was the one that changes both (since normally uses same picture). It didn't occur to me since I have a customized "Starting Windows" screen and I'm the only user. I don't ever see the login screen, just the shutting down.