Cheat to enable Standard Start Menu both with Metro

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by lysy.lbn, Sep 20, 2011.

1. lysy.lbn

lysy.lbn MDL Member

Apr 20, 2011
    #1 lysy.lbn, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  2. jlgager

jlgager MDL Developer

Oct 30, 2009
    In order to run as admin create shortcut to METRO.cmd file and put shortcut in start menu under startup. Go into the shortcut's properties window and in the shortcut tab click advanced. Then click "Run As Administrator". Also you can remove the following line from the file to stop the task manager from opening:
    TM.exe >NUL

3. TheBlade

TheBlade MDL Senior Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Lmao a 'cheat', ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. nintendo

nintendo MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2011
    thank yoooouuuuuuu soo much!

5. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
  6. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    Faikee, what version of Avira do you use for this build? Any issues?

7. FaiKee

Jul 24, 2009
    Avira 10.0.0.561. On installation it gave a warning that there is compatible issue with windows defender but I ignored it - and it's been running fine ever since, no issue so far. :p

8. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    What's happ with MDL yesterday???:confused::(

9. lysy.lbn

lysy.lbn MDL Member

Apr 20, 2011
    If it don't open TM.exe, metro would stay disabled, becouse Windows still think that shsxs.dll is still missing

I think is a good name, cause it's actually cheat WDP ;)

About startup.. Sometimes is start too fast, and don't work.. You can solve it by adding line on begining
    "timeout /t 5 >NUL" (i think it should be enough)

10. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    You posted too many so they crashed the system! LOL:roflmao:

11. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
  12. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    Testing here, thanks for the script :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. david282

david282 MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2011
    can u tell, plz, how to remove it back ?

14. FaiKee

Jul 24, 2009
    1. I removed the TM.exe, but I could get the Metro UI working.

2. I added the timeout line to the top, but it still didn't run on start-up.:confused:

15. fritolays

fritolays MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2010
    I had the same issue as FaiKee, but I got this working on logon.

I tried making a shortcut to METRO.cmd in the startup folder.
    Making sure to check the "Run as administrator" box in advanced for the shortcut.
    But with no luck; the issue was that you cant run an elevated process from the startup folder.

So I just used the Task Scheduler to run METRO.cmd at logon (not at startup; didn't work for me).

You need to check the "Run with highest privileges" box, on the General tab.
    When adding the trigger on the Triggers tab you have the option to delay the task for X seconds; I set 5 seconds.
    Or you can add the "timeout /t 5 >NUL" line to the file.
    Actions tab is straight forward - just browse to where you saved METRO.cmd.

Also if your on a notebook, under Conditions tab uncheck "Start the task only if the computer is on AC power".

Lastly, the only quirk is that it will still start with the metro ui but when you click the desktop button you will have a proper start menu.

16. shakehand

shakehand MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2011
    #17 shakehand, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
    Hi! need help please, after play with the cheat to enable standard start menu with Metro, accident i disable user acc, and restart pc, now windows turn on, but i can not log on. When i lick on user acc, it said "your account has been disable. Please see your system administer" how can i log on system administer,thanks.

I did use system trouble as refreshing pc, system restore, Automatic repair all not work,tried open command promp as administrator and type "net user account \activeyes and still not work,any ideal, help please.

17. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder! LOL :D

18. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008
    Finally someone dared to say the kernel truth! LOL!
    Can't imagine anyone in their right mind buying this way looking OS as a retail product. They need to do a whole lot to make it look more attractive... and usable...

:rolleyes:

19. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    :rolleyes:

I too can't imagine ever liking Metal music, have long hair or cloth like em.
    You may not like it, but others love it.

The new Startscreen has only a few disadvantages over the classic, which can easily be fixed by MS if they want to.

No Jumplists, no History, no "Universal" Search and yeah the Folder links to Documents, Computer, Libraries and the easy to access Power button, yeah while this seems to be alot of changes its not a dealbreaker at all.
    • Jumplists are only useful on your Desktop and you have still access to them via rightclicking a Program in your taskbar, so im sure they won't come back into metro
    • Search is still there (just as easy to access) but involves Clicking or Keyboard navigation cause of a missing "Search Everything" as default on top of the 3 separate searches
    • History isn't so important but it's something i would like to see being accessible on Metro.
    • You arent powering down your Computer every few minutes, but they should move it to a better place as nobody expects the Button in Settings (they could as well just add a app bar on the Startscreen itself to put some commands, currently there is no appbar for the Startscreen, only the apps you click)
    Let's wait and hope for Improvements in functionality, usability is fine besides Search which takes a second longer to use as you have to Click Apps/Settings/Files depending on what you are looking for. :cool: