Check integrity/checksum of read BIOS?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by jamesm80, Sep 22, 2013.

1. jamesm80

jamesm80 MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2009
    Hi,
    I wonder is there a way of checking if the integrity of a BIOS that i've read using a EEPROM programmer is OK? Like a checksum with Hex Editor?

The laptop potentially has a faulty EEPROM (common fault apparently) and i'd like to see if it is corrupted.

It's a Lenovo Phoenix EFI Bios. I don't know what version BIOS the chip has on, because the laptop is dead...

Thanks,
    James.

2. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    Hey jamesm80,

please upload the ROM so we can get a look at it.
    It's not a fault to add some info, for example which device is it excactly.

regardz

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jamesm80

jamesm80 MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2009
    Hello,
    It's a Lenovo E520 Laptop, BIOS chip MX25L3206EM2I-12G. A link to the ROM i downloaded from the chip is below:

jm-server.homeip.net/temp/files/e520.rar

The laptop died suddenly on me, i know a bit about repairs and found that the standby chip was shot and not providing 3.3v and 5v. So, i replaced the standby chip. However, with the new standby chip i only got 1.2v and 1.6v approx (better than nothing). Then i read on the internet that this model can have a known faulty BIOS EEPROM, so i decided to remove it. When i removed the EEPROM, the standby voltages went normal! So i thought, it's true, the BIOS chip must be nackered?!

The weird thing is that the chip seems to read ok on a programmer so maybe it's not bad? I'm not sure. This is why i'd like to find out how to checksum the ROM i've got from it and see if it has any corruption.

Out of curiosity where might i be able to find information about testing the checksum of different BIOS's?

P.S. i've just realised that i shouldn't use links until i have posted at least 20 posts? If i have to remove the link then fair enough, i will do so.

Thanks,
    James.

4. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    #4 nexus76, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
    when checking all modules with andy's tool it shows:

module-count-mismatch.jpg

did you delete any modules, is it possible?
    replacing the nested FV fails with exactly the same error message.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. jamesm80

jamesm80 MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2009
    Hi,
    nope didn't delete anything. That's the raw untouched file that my Willem EEPROM programmer read from the chip. So i'm assuming theres some major stuff missing from this ROM?

It's quite annoying that i can't find out anywhere some finer detail about the EEPROM failures on this model of laptop, even on Lenovo forums. It's so well known on the internet but noone seems to know if the bad batch of chips just die completely or perhaps exhibit the kind of issue i may have now i.e. potential loss of data/corruption. I've got some new EEPROM's on order, so i'll probably swap it out anyway. If you come up with anything else or anyone knows some info about the bad batch of EEPROM's in the Lenovo E520 series then i'd be greatful.

James.

6. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    #6 nexus76, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  7. glennaa

glennaa MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2014
    Hi.
    I have a Lenova e520 too that is dead.
    Did you make it boot again after bios change?