checksum check

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by 911medic, Sep 20, 2008.

1. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    How many modders check the bios checksum after mods, and how many actually adjust them??

Do you think the individual modules are necessary or just the main bios file..??

I am just curious..I have my own ideas on this and have logged some results from my own experience...

If you don't mind..I wouldn't mind hearing some of your opinions..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    When I make a manual Award bios mod, I have a look if the 8-bit checksum is appended after each module (or the modules I've modified) and adjust them of course.
    There are 3 kinds of Award bioses:

8 bit checksum byte appended after EACH module.
    8 bit checksum byte appended after mainmodule only.
    No 8 bit checksum byte appended, but FFh byte after mainbios module. THIS byte counts to the length of module, shown at cbrom /D

I'm also using SLIC's which sum to zero only. At manual Phoenix mods (Lenovo way) I don't need to adjust. (prepare.exe will do the job).

Also using cbrom or amimmwin / mmtool 3.19 I don't need to adjust....

At AMI SSV2 for MSI I correct the header which is 10h bytes in front of 1b module (as described at my instructions).
    I also add 89h to correct the entire checksum of bios after I've inserted the SLIC (as described there as well).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...