Chkdsk in Windows 8.1 almost useless ?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by digitalbear, Mar 4, 2015.

1. digitalbear

digitalbear MDL Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Dear ALL,

I installed Hard Disk Sentinel to test a new SSD, but then only to discover that my 3TB drive has only 8% health left with lots of bad sectors, but running chkdsk says no problem :mad:

Am I just using chkdsk incorrectly or do you need a third party tool to tell you the correct info ?

2. mictlan

mictlan MDL Member

Nov 9, 2009
    On a non-system drive run: chkdsk /F /V /X

3. digitalbear

digitalbear MDL Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Thanks mictlan, but why does windows not pick it up immediately by itself ?

When I installed Hard Disk Sentinel it picked the problem up instantly, I'm not lazy to expect software to do everything for me and also does not like having 100's of software installed to do these important things.

I guess one have to do this manually once a week or day otherwise you can loose a lot of data as bad sectors does not give any warning before they are about to appear :eek:

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. digitalbear

digitalbear MDL Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Thanks pisthai,

Apparently chkdsk looks more at the NTFS system and HD Sentinel more on a physical level.

Good to know - I will have a look at these two.

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Both of that 2 apps working regardless of the system etc. They're searching and repairing, if checked, bad sectors as long as those ore 'soft-errors'. Hard errors, means physical damages of the platters, couldn't be repaired at all.

Use of that apps could be done just on any OS or whatsoever, even while that HDD is accessed by other apps. That isn't recommended but possible!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Have a look at your system event log. If there's issues they'd be listed there.