choose an OS

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by BabySitter, Feb 10, 2014.

1. BabySitter

BabySitter MDL Junior Member

Jan 26, 2014
    And when i install Win 8.1 using Flash drive i just amiss press F8 and F9 in booting and i saw a screen tells me that i have to choose a Windows which installed was only Win 7 and after install Win 8.1 i saw a Win 8.1 screen tells me to choose an OS and its disappear suddenly and never appear again now the quest i never setup two Windows in same time in my PC to see this screen i want to know why i have seen that screen ?

NOT: i have used MTK 2.5 to activate Win 8.1

2. agent268

agent268 MDL Junior Member

Feb 20, 2012
    What you saw was the OS selection screen that is produced by the Windows Boot Manager based on the available OS installations stored in the BCD. The BCD is going to live on the Active Partition on a BIOS/MBR based system or the EFI System Partition of a UEFI/GPT based system. The easiest way to manage the BCD is to use MSConfig or BCDEdit from Command Prompt.

As far as why you saw it, it was likely due to not wiping the entire disk before installing 8.1 since that would have left the original BCD data intact. That original BCD included an entry to your Windows 7 installation. Seeing the OS selection pop up during the Windows Setup process until the new OS is fully installed is common due to a natural boot delay that occurs in some phases of the Windows Setup process.

3. Aninvitedsoul

Aninvitedsoul MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2012
    #3 Aninvitedsoul, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    If the problem still exist just go:msconfig > boot and mark the OS you don't like and delete it ,if it is still there.You might, accidentally, have done

or didn't do something that caused this behavior. That is to my little knowledge.. You're always welcome to ask.

Edit:I was answering the question while there was no answer in the thread.It took me some time because of network problem.Thanks to

agent268.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Leslie_Coffelt

Leslie_Coffelt MDL Member

Feb 6, 2014
    You can also use EasyBCD to view/manage the Windows boot loader.

5. BabySitter

Jan 26, 2014
    #5 BabySitter, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
    (OP)
    This is hard to understand for me i just need a simple answer if u plz
    All i need to know is this a problem ? is something went wrong ? or everything is fine ?
    is my PC now has two OS ? or just one ?

I'm Egyptian too :D
    and it just appear once
    All i need to know is this a problem ? is something went wrong ? or everything is fine ?
    One last thing i notice that the screen shutdown before the CPU shutdown in Win 8.1 when i turn the computer off is that normal ?

6. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Don't post same question on different threads. I have deleted one from here.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. BabySitter

Jan 26, 2014
    Help !!!:worthy:

8. Aninvitedsoul

Sep 14, 2012
    What's wrong now ?

9. Aninvitedsoul

Sep 14, 2012
    #9 Aninvitedsoul, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
    MDL forums are international technical forums.So let's focus on technical issues.

10. CorporateRAT

CorporateRAT MDL Member

Aug 4, 2012
    Dude. agent268 already gave you the answer. If you don't understand than get someone who does to edit boot configuration data and remove windows 7 entry.

11. agent268

agent268 MDL Junior Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Sorry for the late response on this, but what you are experiencing is not really a problem so to speak and was default behavior in conjunction with how you installed your new OS. Think of it as simply a mislabeled left over entry. If you want to keep things nice and clean, then remove the unneeded entry from the BCD. It is up to you.