Choosing the right mainboard, does type matter?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by j4ni, Jun 9, 2012.

1. j4ni

j4ni MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2010
    Hi folks!

I am new to this forum and overall to the whole topic of BIOS modding. So my knowledge in this area is very limited, well next to null...

So my "problem" is that I want to buy myself a new mainboard with the main requirement that its BIOS should be moddable with SLIC 2.1 for compatibility with Win7.

Now I am having the problem of selecting the right type of motherboard and I dont know how hard or easy it is to mod its BIOS. It will most probably be a cheap Asus or preferably Asrock mainboard (with H61 chipset).

I have already browsed the forum and seen that there are a huge lot of modded BIOS-es posted but I have seen only very few Asrock BIOS-es.

So my questions are:
    -How hard is to make a BIOS mod for some Asus or Asrock BIOS, if the BIOS is not already posted in the right topic?

-Is it safe to choose a motherboard for which the modded BIOS is not already posted? Is there a huge (90%+) chance that I or somebody will be able to mod the BIOS? Or should I look for Motherboard for which moded BIOS is already available?

-I would like to read more about the BIOS moding topic, as there is a big chance that at the end I have to mod my own equipment, Where should I begin reading?
    I have seen some old descriptions and threads most from 2007 and 2009 but I have heard that BIOS technology has changed in the last years completely.

Thanks for commenting!
    J

2. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    If you're concerned about Windows activation, don't be 'cause you can activate Win7 with Daz Loader. ;) Nice & easy.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. j4ni

j4ni MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2010
    Thanks for replaying. I am definitively interested in Win7 activation by BIOS mod,
    I am not interested in using non permanent and detectable solutions.

Best Regards
    J.

4. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Daz Loader is UNBEATABLE & UNDETECTABLE, 'cause it uses ORIGINAL MS KEYS! ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. j4ni

j4ni MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2010
    Thanks for the clarification both of you! My wording was wrong. Still I am looking for a permanent solution, as permanent as a bios mod...

Do you have any advice with choosing the right motherboard? I would be very glad!

J.

6. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
  7. j4ni

j4ni MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2010
    Thank You very much, :thumbsup:

so to summarize it up just to have a common understanding:
    (1)
    I don't have to worry about the manufacturer and type the board I plan to purchase, because basically every motherboards can be modded with custom SLIC 2.1 table for OEM Win7 "compatibility"

(2)
    You have referred to the "Intel EFI (Bios) Mod for Slic 2.1" thread, am I understand it correctly that the method used in the referred comment (see below) can be used for every Mobo with UEFI bios
    and so it will be applicable with my planned purchase??

I will get back on the forum after I have the Mobo..

I wrote small Instructions for oa2intel. How modit Intel MotherBoards
    ================================================== ===================
    I. Updated latest original Bios from Intel.
    ²².Choose method of modifying: from Dos with boot usb flashdrive, or Windows mode.
    Method of Dos preferable.
    III.Windows mode
    1.Unzip all contents of the archive oa2intelwin.rar on Drive C: \. You must have
    C:\oa2intelwin\.
    2.Run cmd.lnk type cd c:\oa2intelwin\.
    3. Select modified of modifications, with automatic batch file or manually.
    4. Run batch file *. bat (ASUS.cmd, HP.cmd, DELL.cmd) and at the end of the process restarts.
    5. In case of failure, go to manual mode.
    6. Teams: OA2INTELWIN update pubkey.bin marker.bin sign.bin
    OA2INTELWIN erase
    OA2INTELWIN setmarker marker.bin
    OA2INTELWIN status
    Utility must give you a case of successful flashing the message "Programmed".
    IV.Flashing from Dos
    1.Create bootable USB flash drive or by copying the files to the folder DOS.
    2.Start HPUSBFW.EXE from the Administrator, select Create a Dos startup disk, put on the item
    "using Dos systems files located at", Specify the folder with the DOS \. After the copy to create a USB flash drive
    all the files from the folder "copy to flash !!!!".
    3.In Bios choose boot from USB, or "boot removable device first".
    4.Chose how modified, an automaton with a batch file or manually.
    5. Run batch file *. bat (ASUS.BAT, HP.BAT, DELL.BAT) and at the end of the process restarts.
    6. In case of failure, go to manual mode.
    7. Teams: OA2INTEL update pubkey.bin marker.bin sign.bin
    OA2INTEL erase
    OA2INTEL setmarker marker.bin
    OA2INTEL status
    Utility must give you a case of successful flashing the message "Programmed".
    VI. Reboot, run SLIC_Dump_Toolkit and make sure that there pabkeya and marker in the BIOS.
    VII. Then insert the key, certificate, and activate the system.