Choppy playback of Kodi/Xbmc on server 2012 R2

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Rab, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    As the title says, I'm having problems with the playback of random films on Kodi (former XBMC) from my server 2012 R2 essentials.

Why on earth do you run a mediaplayer from a DC server???
    Good question, but simple to answer. It sits next to the TV and is most of the time more or less just idling. It just as well do the HTPC role as well. Special account created for the task just in case someone wondered.

So any way there seems to be quite a lot of resources left to the system when the choppy playback occurs.
    Nowhere near nor the APU-s or the Hard drives limits. Local share as well, so that’s not it either.

I think it's some resources settings to give "server stuff" better access than "non server stuff" which kind of makes sense.
    After all it's not a workstation OS.

Searching Google gives no real clue as to what I'm supposed to tweak.
    Two years ago (or there about) I did run this setup (XBMC on Server 2008 r2) with success after a reg tweak, which I of course can't remember nor find again. It had something to do with giving better priority to video playback and sound.

The question then…
    On this fabulous forum, is there anyone who understands what I meant and can help me to figure out which registry keys need to be changed and into what?

Best regards. Rab.

2. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    Or anyone for that matter that have an alternative solution to acheave the same result without messing around with the registry.

I tried running win7 on a Hyper-V and run Kodi from that... cant recomend it to anyone. That didnt go well at all.
    /Rab

3. leebo_28

leebo_28 MDL Senior Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Do you have the APU's graphics driver updated..or are you using Microsoft's default driver? also are you giving the graphics enough memory in the bios settings?

4. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    #7 Rab, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
    (OP)
    @leebo 28

I'll look into that. All drivers is up to date, but I'll have to check the memory settings to the graphics. Wierd thoe that a identical MB with the same BIOS and hardware woud behave difrent in that respect between server 2008 R2 and 2012 R2...
    But this is the best leed yet so I'll investigate some...

Ty.

5. leebo_28

leebo_28 MDL Senior Member

Jun 12, 2011
    I'm not sure if server 2012 has compatibility mode ..but you could change Kodi to run as if installed to server 2008r2, see if it behaves then.. also xbmc and Kodi arent technically the same anymore..