Choppy sound on VMware (affecting 2000/XP/Vista Guests)

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by W7U, Mar 11, 2020.

1. W7U

W7U MDL Junior Member

Feb 19, 2017
    This is quite an annoying problem that has been a roadblock to my efforts to emulate old software on VMware: unless I run VLC on my host, the sound on Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista virtual machines are really choppy or distorted.

I am aware of VMAudioFixTray, but I am starting to think that my host's system settings may be to blame, or I may not be using the right host audio settings or timing.

My CPU is the 6-core i7-8700K @ 3.7 GHz on a Z390-I Aorus Pro motherboard, BIOS version F7. The Realtek HD Audio ALC1220 codec version is R2.82, driver version 6.0.8881.1. I currently use Windows 10 Enterprise 1909 (build 18363) and VMware Workstation Pro 15.5.1.

I hope someone has a way to resolve the sound problem so that I do need to open VLC all the time.

2. chillgates

chillgates MDL Senior Member

Dec 15, 2010
    I also had same problem with VLC on Vmware and sometimes VLC even choppy on direct windows installation too. VLC video performance is also very pathetic on my AMD PC with vega graphic driver. Stopped using VLC for that reason. Why don't you use Potplayer with Lav filters ? They are best combination available for today's multimedia. Updates frequently.

3. W7U

W7U MDL Junior Member

Feb 19, 2017
    I think I may have not been clear on the issue.

The problem I have is that:
    • All sounds, such as the startup and shutdown sounds, are choppy on the Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista virtual machines. It has nothing to do with running VLC in the guest.
    • The problem goes away when I run VLC on the Windows 10 host machine.
    • The problem comes back when VLC is not open on the host machine.

4. chillgates

Dec 15, 2010
    Weird problem. How VLC on host has relation with VM OS sound ?. :)

5. W7U

W7U MDL Junior Member

Feb 19, 2017
    To be more specific, when I play any song or video on VLC or FooBar2000 in the host, the problem on the guests go away. This is why I think something is not right with the host's system or audio settings.

6. chillgates

Dec 15, 2010
    Since VMware and host share same video and audio settings, it is probably Vmware tools problem. You can do nothing for it. Only VMware programmers must do something. Try different settings for Vmware OS like uncheck video / audio sharing , stop media acceleration, increase / decrease ram for VM ..

7. chillgates

Dec 15, 2010
    And also try disabling exclusive mode and exclusive control for audio device in host OS.

8. W7U

W7U MDL Junior Member

Feb 19, 2017
    I have already disabled exclusive mode and exclusive control for audio device in host OS. I have also tried setting the Multiprocessor specification to 1.1 instead of 1.4. I also checked that all the sound effects were off. The sound problem also happens even without VMware Tools installed.

The sound problem does not exist in the Windows 95, 98, NT 4.0, 7 and 10 guests.

I quickly get tired from trying to find out what is causing the problem. There is so much misinformation or unanswered support threads about the cause of the distorted audio in a VMware virtual machine.

9. W7U

W7U MDL Junior Member

Feb 19, 2017
  10. MMIKEE

MMIKEE MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. W7U

W7U MDL Junior Member

Feb 19, 2017
  12. MMIKEE

MMIKEE MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2012
    Feedback for VMware XP users... VMAudioFixTray.exe worked well for me using previous VMware versions until VMware Player 15.5.5... XP Audio is TRASHED again and VMAudioFixTray.exe does NOT fix this issue now... I reverted VMWare to a previous version and VMAudioFixTray.exe remedies the XP Audio issue...
    There are REPORTS of other ISSUES using VMware Player 15.5.5...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. zanesix2

zanesix2 MDL Novice

Jun 4, 2020
    #13 zanesix2, Jun 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    Yeah I'm gonna need some info on how to roll back that update... They break something every time, I should have known better.

Amazing how this bug has been known for SO LONG and yet NOBODY has a reliable fix for it... And its only getting worse with every update.

14. MMIKEE

MMIKEE MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2012
    Use this MDL link https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/update-vmware-products.36557/ (page 11) to acquire previous versions of VMware...
    VMware cannot be "rolled back", however, you can Uninstall VMware, Cleanup the leftover Reg entries etc, then Install your preferred previous VMware version...

Thanx goes to @Mr.X for providing the D/L links for current and previous versions of VMware...

15. monmoth *0

monmoth *0 MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2012
    Hello All, this XP guest machine sound problem in VMWare workstation has been giving me grief and agony for the last few days (Nothing is perfect, I get it). Even the VMware audio tray fix and the timer did not work out. So, I rolled back to VMWare 15.5.2 and then used the VMware audio tray fix and hey presto! No more crackling sounds in XP. :worthy:Thank you very, very much for all the suggestions and workarounds given. Peace and out.

16. Hunterrules0_0

Hunterrules0_0 MDL Member

Nov 27, 2021
    might be stupid question but did you install vmware tools