Chrome download speeds

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Newbie8952, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Newbie8952

Newbie8952 MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2011
    Hi,
    Im using latest Chome Dev and IE9 on WIndows 7 (x86) and I noticed that when I download the same file with Chrome my download speed is always about 1/4 of download speed I get using IE9. For expamle I tried to download Zune Software. Average download speed with Chrome was around 500kB/s, but with IE9 the speed was around 2MB/s. Any ideas what could be causing this problem and how to solve this?

2. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Does IE9 supports multithreaded downloading and Chrome doesn't :confused:

Are both Internet browsers on default connection settings?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    i agree,very excellent tip!!!:worthy:

4. Newbie8952

Newbie8952 MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2011
    Yes. I just reinstalled Windows. But it was happening before the reinstall.

5. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    I am almost certainly convinced that this is not a Chrome issue. The browser is simply using whatever your available bandwidth is, and tries to achieve max speed out of that. Are you sure you are not running anything else in the background that might interfere i.e. torrent :confused:

Close up anything that might be using up bandwidth. Then try downloading the same file, from the same server using IE and Chrome - but one at a time. Does it still happen?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Newbie8952

Newbie8952 MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2011
    Yes I closed everything. Even if not they are running under the same conditions. When I do these tests I even let Chrome to start first and then I start to download using IE. So, IE should be slowing down Chrome but IE is still much faster. Its a mystery for me too.

7. blaquee

blaquee MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2010
    This is something i've noticed for a while, Chromes download speeds have always sucked, new IE9 actually has impressive download speeds compared to its previous versions.. I dont use FF anymore because the new interface is sluggish to me, so im forced to browse with Chrome and download with IE or i just use Free Download Manager and that fixes the problem with most recognized file types with Chrome..

8. mohamedkamel

mohamedkamel MDL Addicted

Jul 5, 2011
    Do both of the browsers were running at the same time?

x86 meant that you should download the same file, from the same server using IE and Chrome - but one at a time. This means to start IE and wait until it finishes and the same for Chrome.

Hope this helps!

9. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
  10. mohamedkamel

mohamedkamel MDL Addicted

Jul 5, 2011