Cinnamon 3.0x for Linux Mint 17.3

Discussion in 'Linux' started by thorin0815, May 6, 2016.

1. thorin0815

thorin0815 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. TinMan

TinMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I'm just curious has any of you guys tried the new Cinnamon on a working desktop system, i.e. outside a Virtual Box? If yes, could you share with the rest of us your thoughts?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tmf2

tmf2 MDL Junior Member

May 5, 2010

I have tested on my laptop first and than on one of my desktops also installed the Kernel 4.5.2 no problems,seems rock solid and also corrected a problem I was having with my PIA Client.

Dennis

4. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 MDL Member

May 5, 2010
    The latest update to Mint Debian edition includes Cinnamon 3. I have not found any issues yet.

5. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Looking forward to try linux mint 18 with newest cinnamon. Currently running mint 17.3 which is the best for my laptop, never had 1 single freeze while mint 17-17.2 did had this. Maybe it's nvidia with their better drivers (no idea) but hey....windows got trashed :D (with their awesome spyware programs :sneaky:)

6. TinMan

TinMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
  7. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    I know, but i will just wait for the official release (mint 18). Running 17.3 just without issues...i want to keep it that way.

8. TinMan

TinMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
  9. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    @TinMan: you can switch to Slackware which has Cinnamon in their repos. ;) Slackware uses sysinit V.

10. TinMan

TinMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Thanks for the heads-up, Socrate, but I plan to stick with LM 17.3 for the next couple of years, until it is supported and by then... Well, I guess I'll keep learning and then see what would be the best distro to switch to :g:

11. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
  12. thorin0815

thorin0815 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Even though Mint is based on Ubuntu, I wouldn't ever run Ubuntu on my machine as main OS. Mint is just perfectly polished, can't get that Mint feeling with a Cinnamon Ubuntu. :rolleyes:

13. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
  14. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    #14 Antilope, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
    I used Mint Cinnamon about a year, until they were totally hacked. Even their posted ISO's were hacked. I don't trust them anymore. Very amateurish. Really lame. They seemed to have their heads stuck in the ground. Mint always seems to be behind the curve and playing catch up to Ubuntu.

Ubuntu currently is 16.04, Mint is 14.04. Ubuntu 16.04 runs faster on my Dell than the current Mint. Ubuntu has a much larger support team behind it. Ubuntu gets the latest security updates that Mint ignores. Ubuntu has never had a security breach that Mint suffered. I can easily switch between Cinnamon, Gnome and Unity on Ubuntu simply by choosing the desktop at login. The best of all worlds for me.

My only objection to pure Ubuntu is Unity, and i can fix that with Cinnamon. I wouldn't go back to Mint now. Doing so seems to me like accepting second best. Mint is following Ubuntu. Ubuntu is not following Mint. Why accept an alsorand?

Other than that, I don't have a good reason. ;)

15. Nimbus2000

Nimbus2000 MDL Member

May 5, 2010
    As I recall, the Mint website was altered to re-direct downloads to an unauthorized server which was hosting an altered .iso file. It was discovered and fixed in less than a day. The Mint team learned a valuable lesson in security and several positive changes have resulted. In any event, the altered .iso was easily detected by checking the hash, something everyone should do to insure the download was not corrupted. In my opinion, this one incident does not rise to the level of "totally hacked".

Linux Mint 18 will be based on Ubuntu 16.04 and is expected to be released in a few weeks. But don't forget that Ubuntu is based on Debian, so following your reasoning, you should switch to Debian with Cinnamon desktop. Of course then you will miss out on all the polish and extra features that Ubuntu and Mint add to their releases.

I would not be surprised if one day an official Cinnamon version of Ubuntu is release, following the same process as Ubuntu Mate. The great thing of Linux is that everyone is free to use what they like best, and if it does not exist, then to make their own like you have.

16. tmf2

tmf2 MDL Junior Member

May 5, 2010

Mint is on track for 16.04 in the June release I believe.

17. wmh

wmh MDL Junior Member

Jun 30, 2015