Cinnamon is slow on 6 month old PC

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Teddy, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Teddy

Teddy Guest

#1 Teddy, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2016
    I have a HP all in one Pavilion 23 PC, and for some reason cinnamon is very slow, from the menu button, to doing different tasks, as well as the overall system. I have an issue with any Linux distro I use where The LiveUSB works fine but I usually need to use 'nomodeset xforcevesa' to boot after install and set a proprietary driver for my video card. Also in cinnamon, even on liveusb it says that it has to run in software mode. But after installed and running proprietary drivers, it is still slow as I described above. Any steps I can take to fix this?

2. thorin0815

thorin0815 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2015
    Have you tried Kernel 4.2.x or 4.3?

With my GTX 750ti Cinnamon uses software accelleration too until I install a proprietary driver.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Teddy

Teddy Guest

So I am currently using 17.3 cinnamon, and it's working well, alot better than 17.2 on my pc. However I notice that sometimes when I restart my PC that the screen flashes different colors and stays black afterwards and I am forced to do a hard shutdown, then when I start back up it's fine again. I am using the open source amd driver for my video card as it seems to run better than the proprietary one on linux. So I tried upgrading the kernel to 4.3.2 but it makes a loud popping noise at boot like it's going to blow the speakers, so I had to rollback to 3.19. Just wondering why sometimes it does the flashing colors when I boot and other times it doesn't?

4. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Assume you have nVidia...Try kernel 4.2 rather.

BTW which chipset are you running?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Teddy

Teddy Guest

I have an AMD APU with Radeon R4 Graphics.

6. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010

Sorry, I see now you did mention AMD in your original post - just that the only issues I've seen were with nVidia - can't say why the weired behaviour on Radeon, TBH.

7. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    #7 Antilope, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
    Must be a driver issue or hardware issue. I'm running Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.3 x64 on a 2009 model Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop. It has an Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 processor and 4gb ram. Cinnamon runs really fast with no hesitation at all on this machine.

There were a couple of Linux distros (Ubuntu based) that didn't recognize my desktop wifi card. They were using Linux kernel 3.19. As soon as I upgraded those distros to the latest stable Linux kernel (4.3.3), the wifi was recognized and came on automatically without any tweaking.

Try loading the Linux 4.3.3 kernel that might clear up your hardware problems.

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    sounds like HP issues with ACPI.. bios updated ?

popping sounds is sound output detecting (hdmi or speaker or jack) i believe then it switches back to speakers.

9. Teddy

Teddy Guest

Yes my Bios is the newest version for my PC, older kernels do not make that sound, I don't want to blow my speakers using this.

10. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Cinnamon in Mint 17.3 is slow also on my i5 laptop. KDE works like a charm on the same laptop, so I assume it's a Cinnamon bug.

11. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    #11 Antilope, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    I'm running Mint Cinnamon 17.3 x64 on two Dell laptops. Both are really fast with no hesitation or problems. I've upgraded the Linux kernel to version 4.3.3 on both laptops. Here are the hardware details on each:

Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop (made in 2009) upgraded to an Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 CPU and 4gb ram. Dell bios version A14. The GPU is built into the motherboard, a Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset. Wifi is an Intel Wifi Link 5100 PCIe mini card. A 120gb SSD hard drive (KingDian brand - a cheapie drive from Amazon). MBR type partition. Partitioned for dual boot, Windows 10, Mint Cinnamon and Chromixium. A 2nd 320gb WD spinning hard disk, partitioned with 10 linux distros mounted in an adapter that replaces the DVD optical drive in the optical drive bay. MBR type partition.

Dell Inspiron 17r 5737 (made in 2013) with an Intel i5 4200u processor and 8gb DDR3 ram. Dell bios version A08. The GPU is built into the motherboard, Intel HD Graphics 4400. The wifi is an Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 PCIe mini card with bluetooth. 1 TB WD hard disk, partitioned for dual boot, Windows 10, Mint Cinnamon, Chromixium. UEFI/GPT type partition, 750gb NTFS for Windows 10; 250gb partition for Linux distros.

Maybe HP has a generic driver or hardware problem.

12. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    #12 SOCRATE_MMXII, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  13. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    #13 Antilope, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  14. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Your commands and my commands are the same. It seems it's a video driver issue. I just assumed that kernel 4.3.3 would have better video support. I'll try again using your method. I see that you didn't update grub to use the new kernel.

15. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    I update grub using grub customizer. Uname -r confirms I am running 4.3.3.

16. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Tried to update to kernel 4.3.3 my kanotix as well using the same commands, but, again, it messed up the whole thing. I know it's easy to update the kernel, but I don't understand why it's screwing up my installations. I have to do some more research on this.

17. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    Once I had the three Linux kernel install files on my hard drive, I just copy them to the Home directory of each distro with its File Manager and run the following command from the terminal after changing to the Home directory:

sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-4.3.3*.deb linux-image-4.3.3*.deb

That command string even runs a grub update at the end of the sequence. Tried it again tonight and it updated grub to start the 4.33 kernel without separately running sudo update grub or running the grub customizer.