Classic Startmenu available?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by foxhunter, Feb 6, 2009.

1. foxhunter

foxhunter MDL Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Hi,

is the classic startmenu (like older Windows-Versions) available in Windows 7 also?

I can't find the option to change the menu. I don't want to change the skin of Windows 7, only the start menu

2. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    Nope. Classic start menu is not available in Windows 7.

3. foxhunter

foxhunter MDL Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Uh, thats bad....

Anyway, for me Windows 7 works like i've expected it with Windows Vista.

4. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    according to M$ the reason for the canning of the old start menu is that the APIs in explorer have been totally redesigned instead of modded like in XP and Vista. This gives you the jump lists and the new taskbar and stuff like that.

5. foxhunter

foxhunter MDL Member

Feb 6, 2009
    I'm sure i can live without the classic menu sometime ;)

6. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    I never understood why people liked the old start menu. After XP I have embraced the new start menu, and with Win7 it is even better with jump lists. OMG jump lists are nice, this way I don't have to look in recent docs for something that isn't there, I just go to start float my mouse over word, and bam there is the doc that I edit all the time.

7. foxhunter

foxhunter MDL Member

Feb 6, 2009
    #7 foxhunter, Feb 7, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
    (OP)
    And i will never understand why people like the new start menu.

I also don't use the Explorer as a file manager. I'm using computers for more than 20 years and i love the look and feel of the Norton Commander. That's why i'm using SpeedCommander.

Sometimes you should never change a running system ;)

I'm sure i don't have your workflow. I'm already using a lot of programs. And it it s one or two clicks more to reach them, if they aren't located at my desktop. So please don't think about my work, as i don't think about yours.

8. djs

djs MDL Novice

May 10, 2007
    #8 djs, Feb 7, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
    I miss the Classic Menu as well.
    I like to put menus within menus, like' Utilities' and 'Media'
    With lots of programs installed you only needed one click on start then hovering the mouse through menus, until the next click to actually open the desired program.

So very simple.
    Now it needs at least 4 clicks to do the same thing. Progress ???

I've put the Quick Launch bar on the left hand side and put all the usual programs there, most are then hidden, but are much easier to get at then the default new menu.

9. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    yeah... I miss the old look too.... Never liked the 'new' start menu and always switched it to classic.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. foxhunter

foxhunter MDL Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Especially if you have to use Windows XP with the classic menu at work you will miss it at home, if you're using Windows 7

I'm working in the same way than djs and i like to arrange my programs by myself and not like windows is doing it.

11. zwaldowski

zwaldowski MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2009
    If you're a fan of categorizing start menu items (I know I am, because of Linux), it's easy to do in Windows 7 and still works. Also looks very stylish on the "All Programs" menu.

12. djs

djs MDL Novice

May 10, 2007
    zwaldowski, could you explain what you mean please ?
    Have you found a fix to change the default menu ?

13. foxhunter

foxhunter MDL Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Thanks.

I think i will give your first solution a try

14. Belarathon

Belarathon MDL Senior Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Man...you guys really must hate change. I know I did. I used to be just like you - Every time I nlited a disk of xp, I'd set it to default to the classic. I hated that big bloated menu. But when Vista came out, I couldn't stand looking at the classic menu, which sticks out like a sore thumb contrasted against the sleek Aero design. Well....I couldn't go back to the classic menu now. I'd really learned to love the Vista menu! I'm not saying you should, just reporting my random thoughts.