Classic Windows Update CPL on Win10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by slashing123, Jan 1, 2017.

1. slashing123

slashing123 MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2015
    Okay so I managed to get the old classic Windows Update Control Panel CPL to run on Windows 10. I copied files for the WU control panel from Windows 8.1...which is partially why I think that it doesn't fully work. (I don't have access to a copy of the last version of Windows 10 that included the classic WU control panel.) Anyway, these files included wucltux.dll, wuwebv.dll, and their associated MUI files. I then exported every registry key related to Windows Update that I could find, and merged them into Windows 10's registry and boom, a semi-functional WU CPL. I'm sure there are better ways I could have went about this but whatever. What I'm wondering is if it is a good idea to continue to pursue this. Getting the classic update CPL back would mean we get our control over updates back, right? A notable problem I've encountered so far is that when I click check for updates it says that the Windows Update Service isn't running even though it is. Sorry I can't post screen shots since my post count is not high enough to post links or images. (Also this is my first thread on a forum so don't hate on me too much :p)

2. coromonadalix

coromonadalix MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    hum I dont think it will worth it anymore (my personal opinion it is)

Since 14997 the old control panel and other things seems more difficult to obtain or execute, the Powershell is pushed more and more than the CMD prompt,

We can have them back like IE: shortcut link to control.exe = old control panel style, the god mode still works, but for how long ?

M$oft want to push us a full "touch" and "modern" interface ... i miss the old xp and w7 days.

3. slashing123

slashing123 MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2015
    I suppose you are right. Microsoft seems intent on killing off everything Non-UWP, regardless of what its users want/desire/think. The question of how long it'll be before they kill stuff like CMD Prompt and Control Panel is also quite relevant. I was just looking to see if other people thought it was worthwhile. :biggrin:

4. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I support Microsoft intention to do away with the classic Control Panel.

5. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    I'm with Hadron-Curious on this, see no reason for control Panel and settings. :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    #6 Espionage724, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    I support they keep the classic one; a little over 4 years since the Modern UI CP came out and it still isn't anywhere near feature-complete with classic (although I guess if MS keeps stripping settings from classic, the Modern UI one will eventually match it :p)

7. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Everything will go to metro as it will work on phones better I think :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    I think both options should always exist for a smooth migration, last insiders' edition have to go hit run and type in control just to change advanced power options

9. remco8264

remco8264 MDL Junior Member

Mar 10, 2013
    I also believe the CP will go away soon (maybe even this year). Microsoft is busy with adding things to Settings. The last leaked build added themes. Also the Security Center and Windows Firewall seem to be integrated in the new Windows Defender app.

10. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
  11. slashing123

slashing123 MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2015
    The issue I have with the UWP apps like Settings and Edge, Metro IE on Win8, is that they are nowhere near feature complete as their classic counterparts. They are striped down hack jobs that M$ passes off as the modern equivalent to their classic counterparts when in reality they aren't. Another thing is that windows has always been made to be as backward compatible with older Windows programs as possible. If they start killing off core parts of the os like Windows Explorer, Control Panel , and Command Prompt for their UWP versions, that could cripple backwards compatibility.

12. Yasser Da Silva

Yasser Da Silva MDL Senior Member

Mar 15, 2015
    IMHO i think that having the old control Panel is still needed until the settings is fully functional
    The windows Update CPL isn't the problem
    I hope that someone manages to get back the whole thing Back (all the Control Panel)

13. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    Yep, Windows Update MiniTool is a great replacement for the classic applet.
    Unfortunately, there is no reason to backport the classic applet to the old Control Panel.
    The classic Control Panel will be removed completely very soon.

14. maestrosir

maestrosir MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2016
    They should keep the classic control panel
    Many users hate Settings. What is the reason to use settings when you have keyboard and mouse? Control Panel is much better for classic computers.

15. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    I can never find anything in Settings (never have such problem in CP...)

16. Mavericks Choice

Mavericks Choice MDL Guru

Aug 5, 2015
    A great alternative is "God Mode" & works in Win 10

17. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Small fix to the sentence. ;)

18. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    Microsoft has shown plenty of times that they don't care what users hate :p

Classic control panel worked (well enough). Then Modern UI settings came around and years later it still isn't close to classic control panel's functionality. It won't surprise me to see the classic control panel gone in a future update, but the Modern UI one will likely never be feature-complete in-comparison. God Mode works still as well, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that also mysteriously gone at some point, or even disabled to anyone not using Pro or Enterprise.

Modern UI is the (unfortunate) future Windows is still moving towards.

19. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014