Classic x86 (16/32bit) Oldies

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by x86, Jul 13, 2011.

1. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    #1 x86, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. thatguychuck

thatguychuck MDL Member

Feb 6, 2011
    #2 thatguychuck, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
    I cut my teeth on the Sierra company. Burned quite a few hours on Police Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, and Space quest. Please insert disk 3.....Ha! I remember how stoked I was to get a black and white VGA monitor.

P.S. If you haven't checked it out already, go to www*abandonia*com (*not enough post for direct links.)

It's an archive of abandoned software, some of which appears to be downloadable, but I haven't poked around there too much.

3. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Fantastic memories brought up by those games. What about Monkey Island :thumbsup:

Yes, got em all, thanks. And I visit them every once in while using DOSbox. The idea was to try and post a few of my (very) favourites in this thread. Which I hopefully will sometime in the future ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. terryiphoner

terryiphoner MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2011
    what is the best game to play on windows 7?

5. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    This is very subjective and a matter of personal preference. I still think that most of top class games come from the late 80s till mid-90s. So if I am in the mood for a quick game, I still play these using the DOSbox emulator. Apart from that, I have always been an addicted Street Fighter player and in particular Super Street Fighter II Turbo and Street Fighter Alpha 2 (as well as a few more arcade classics released by Capcom on CPS1/2). These are pure Arcade games, running on "ROMs". On the PC you can use an emulator called Kawaks to play those.

If I was to pick a modern game as the best game - it would either be the latest of Quake or Doom. Still I d prefer Doom II Hell on Earth anytime over those two. Other modern games I favour are good race simulators such as GTR Evolution released by Simbim.

What I really don't like, are the latest Internet-based role-play games such as Warcraft and Diablo. Such as the ones people spend endless hours on at Internet Cafes. Can't stand those. I will stop here, as people will start shooting for daring saying such a thing :punch:

No one but you can say what's the best game out there ;)

6. Hellstalker

Hellstalker MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Syndicate and Syndicate Wars, instant classics. Also X-Wing v TIE Fighter are priceless but dont leave out Wing Commander and its 7+ 640k floppy disk change.
    Anyone here played Barbarian or Sun Tzu´s Ancient Art of War (circa 1984)... I spent countless hours trying to master Ancient Art of War

7. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    That was too ancient even for me to get my hands on :eek:

8. Hellstalker

Hellstalker MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Yeah... I figured as much, I was only a teenager back then....
    Come to think that those same people who called me a nerd back in the day because I was one of those "weirdos" who had a PC at home (witch was RARE back then) now cant stop asking how do they get this or that done; dumb, everyday things, like paying your power or telephone bills on line... its funny how life works out to be.... guess Im the one laughing now.... :biggrin:

9. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Same here; I never bothered being labelled a guru; it was a privilege to enjoy games from back then. I think today's games are nowhere near - they lack that X Factor :)