Clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate on Dell laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by astro crush1, May 10, 2011.

1. astro crush1

astro crush1 MDL Novice

May 10, 2011
    I recently bought a Dell Inspiron N5010 laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit built in, and created the recovery disks backup using Dell DataSafe.

I have a Windows 7 Ultimate 32 and 64bit pre-activated DVD, which I downloaded as a torrent and has so far worked properly for months on my desktop (without installing update KB971033). Will it work just as well if I perform a format and clean install on the laptop with it? I'm posting because I'm not really familiar with all this OEM talk and so on.

Thanks

2. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    you will be fine man. There are many approaches that will work, what I suggest is download OEM dump or SLIC tool kit and extract and see what certificate you have and key on your Dell. You can save that aside as you most likely have slic 2.1 and fresh install your Win7, better yet, you can download Win7 SP1 included from here. You can fresh install and once done , you can just insert your certificate and OEM key assuming you have SLIC 2.1.
    Anyway, I suggest you read the sticky , take your time and execute. We will help you when needed, if needed.

3. astro crush1

astro crush1 MDL Novice

May 10, 2011
    First of all, thanks for the replies

To acrsn:

Actually, I know about the upgrade, but I prefer a clean reinstall, to tell you the truth. I dont really mind the time it takes.

And the torrent copy of Ultimate is clean; I've used it multiple times on more than one computer, without any probs.

I don't have a recovery partition, but I have the recovery discs in case anything goes wrong, so no problem there either...

So does that mean that the preactivated ultimate key will not work? Does it matter if the Dell OEM ultimate key listed in the link does not match my current one? As I said, I'm not at all familiar with these issues, so sorry, and thanks again :confused:

4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Well, any key that matches with the edition of Windows will work if the slic+cert combination is right :) But use Dell slic+cert+key is a good choice!! ;)

5. August59

August59 MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2009
    I'm going to ask a stupid question here. When you refer to having a Windows 7 32-bit and a Windows 7 64-bit AIO DVD. During the install the idea is to pick a version in either 32-bit or 64-bit before proceeding to complete the install. Just checking to make sure that I understand it right. I know that a dual boot configuration can be setup, but it didn't seem to be worded that way.

Thanks guys

6. uffbros

uffbros MDL Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    You don't need any crack or certificates. You have a legal serial on the bottom of the laptop. Simply clean install and when it asks for the 25 digit serial insert your legal key from bottom of laptop. Am I missing something here?

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    yes almost the whole point of these forums OEM SLP Activation i,e, preactivate your machine no need to activate through the internet.

8. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Backup key&cert. Download Windows 7 with SP1. Install 7 and then manually insert cert. and key. I thought it would be really hard at first. But from all the info here and nice people. It was to easy.

9. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    #10 NICK@NUMBER11, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
    why dont you simply do an anytime upgrade from your current to ultimate? all you need to do is enter the new key and thats you done...