Clean install of Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by juststoppingby, Dec 26, 2013.

1. juststoppingby

juststoppingby MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2013
    #1 juststoppingby, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
    Hi guys,

Just got a new Lenovo laptop, and it came preinstalled with Windows 8.1

Using .../threads/40897-Guide-to-preserve-Windows-8-x-OEM-Activation this amazing guide, I've managed to find out that I have core edition, but I haven't gone any further.

Edition Type : Core
    Description : Win 8.1 RTM Core OEM:DM
    Edition ID : [Blue]X18-95433

I tried googling the edition ID to find a suitable ISO, but nothing came up. Should I just use MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.8.1.RTM.X64.ENGLISH.DVD-WZT? And is there anything else I should know about doing a clean install on a laptop? Mainly things I should know about product keys,, activation, BIOS settings, etc?

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Exactly, just download it. Product Key should be picked up automatically.

3. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    Since you have said the detected windows edition is Win 8.1 RTM Core OEM and also hope you have got the MSDM OEM Key too. then you can use the MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.8.1.RTM.X64.ENGLISH.DVD-WZT? or the MSDN ISO, both are same, Upon installing the OS, When the CD Key is asked enter the default Installation key and proceed with the installation. when windows gets to the desktop, change the cd key with the MSDM OEM Key and activate the OS by online or by phone activation.

4. juststoppingby

Dec 26, 2013
    Thanks for the replies guys!

@Tito Automatically? So the windows key is embedded in bios?
    @MSMG I only saw the WZT version for core 8.1. But I'll use it if you say it's identical to MSDN ISO. What about making a bootable USB, are there any tricks to it?

5. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    The MSDN ISO named en_windows_8_1_x64_dvd_2707217.iso and the WZOR ISO MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.8.1.RTM.X64.ENGLISH.DVD-WZT are same ISOs, both contains - Windows 8.1 Pro and Windows 8.1 Core Retail Editions. You can just use the ISO to install with default Install Key and then us the MSDM OEM Key to Activate. If you need to make any ISO you can find many tools in mdl and also you can use my toolkit which you can find it in my signature.

6. Aninvitedsoul

Aninvitedsoul MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2012
    No tricks making a bootable USB. :nono2:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. juststoppingby

Dec 26, 2013
    #7 juststoppingby, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
    (OP)
    What about the partition scheme, file system, cluster size, and bootable disk type (MS-DOS, FreeDOS, ISO Image)? rufus.png

Edit: A little update.. I ended up making a bootable USB of WZT Windows using the tool from Microsoft. Setup didn't ask for a product key and Windows activated itself. Thanks for all your help! :)