Clean install Windows 8.1 Single language with Bing

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Matchless, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Matchless

Matchless MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    I have been reading until my head started hurting, but could not find a clear answer to the following:

Can I do a clean installation using the downloadable MS Installation Media "Windows 8.1 Single Language" on a Lenovo G40-30 laptop that came with "Windows 8.1 Single Language with Bing" preinstalled?

Will it automatically activate with the key in the Bios?

Thanks!

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Matchless

Matchless MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    #3 Matchless, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
    (OP)
    Thanks a million!
    Unfortunately I could only see the English 32 bit. I need the English 64 bit.

Thanks again!

Edit: Found the 64 bit torrent, but very slow at the moment.

Thanks for your help, now I know what to look for!

4. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    That version is a PITA. As intended by MS it's OEM only, at least officially. The KMS Emulators still activate it flawlessly.

Due to that it's only delivered to OEMs. MS encourages users to restore via Restore Partition or DVDs (you apparently need to create yourself) :doh:.

EDIT: Good catch my corona loving mate :good3:. Completely forgot this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Matchless

Matchless MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    Thanks and thanks!
    Mr.X and slave77!

Busy downloading!

Yes, I have uninstalled most of the rubbish that comes preinstalled on the laptop, but will be much happier with a clean install and also knowing that I have the means to do a clean install any time down the line.
    Thanks for taking the time to help me out, its much appreciated.

6. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    #7 s1ave77, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Did you already gather the key from UEFI ... in case not, you can try an small but useful little script, which will check the UEFI for the key and install it.

Simply run the CMD (see attachment) as admin:

Code:
    @echo off
    setlocal EnableDelayedExpansion
    set psfile=%temp%\oa3key.ps1
    echo (Get-WmiObject -query ‘select * from SoftwareLicensingService’).OA3xOriginalProductKey>%psfile%
    for /f "tokens=*" %%a in ('powershell -executionpolicy remotesigned -File %psfile%') do set productkey=%%a
    cscript %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk %productkey%
    if exist "%psfile%" del /s /q "%psfile%" >nul
    pause
    endlocal
    exit

System should auto-activate at net contact.

View attachment OA.3.0.activate.7z

Ooopsie ... delete line to clean the temp file got lost ... readded it now to attachment and script :doh:.

7. Matchless

Matchless MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    Wow! Thanks!
    I was just intending to start looking if this was possible and here it is.
    I will give this a try over the weekend for sure!

Thanks again for this.

8. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    No haste :D. In the guide thread i posted above are more ways to get this done.

Script only uses powershell line (brought here by FaiKee) from CMD to check for key and install if found :good3:.

9. Matchless

Matchless MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    A bit of a setback. Downloaded the English version and that is not a single language version. Tried to download X19-57369_SW_DVD9_Win_with_Bing_SL_8.1_64BIT_Spanish_OEM.img and that failed at 117 meg. I could not find a torrent for the Spanish version yet. Not sure if I would be able to do the language change from Spanish to English, but will try to follow the directions.

No just to get X19-57369_SW_DVD9_Win_with_Bing_SL_8.1_64BIT_Spanish_OEM.img downloaded!

10. Matchless

Matchless MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    Thanks, yes I found that and have downloaded most of what I will need except the iso. The iso was about 1 Gig done when we had a power cut and I lost it again. I am going to try again and hopefully 3rd time lucky!
    I had a look at the steps to do the language conversion, but not very clear on where I should put the .svf file, if I use the one linked by LostED. Maybe in the main script folder?

Thanks for your help!

11. Matchless

Matchless MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
  12. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    OK ... proceed, my fingers are crossed :D. As already said Win 8.1 won't gather the keys.

Seems to by purpose to force users to use the OEM recovery partition and upgrade to Win 8.1 afterwards. A vaste waste of time. MS unfortunately sometimes tends to make very strange decisions to stay in control over their products :doh:.

For Retail users they at least offer the option to download latest builds via their tool and create ISO without the need to enter any key (afaik).

13. Matchless

Matchless MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    I must say it was quite a process to finally get a clean install ISO!

I will definitely first read the key using the method you gave me. I assume, you may know, that I could also use the actual OEM key (read from the Bios) to do the install instead of the default installation key.

I will retain the recovery partition and only delete the two windows 8.1 partitions and then start a new installation.

Is this correct or is there a better way?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction with all of this.

14. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Hmm, just tested here, Setup refuses Win 8 OEM: DM keys (tested 2 different).

Preserving the Recovery Partition is always a smart idea. I usually make a backup image of it. So i would say it's indeed correct :good3:.

15. Matchless

Matchless MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    OK If I understand correctly. Setup will require the default installation key (which I have already tested), but will not install with the proper Bios embedded key.
    The installation will/should automatically pick up the Bios embedded key by the time it is completed. If not I will have to manually change the default installation key to the embedded on.

Is there any special method to change the key in Windows 8.1 Single language with Bing?

I am busy downloading all the 8.1 and 7 drivers for the specific laptop to make an install DVD for those if ever needed.

16. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    #19 s1ave77, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
    Key won't be picked up, you either need to install it afterwards or do it via script (not sure about unattended.xml but firstlogon.cmd works).

EDIT: Forgot to mention that key install can be done using Windows GUI or via admin command prompt as shown in the little script (using slmgr.vbs).

17. Matchless

Matchless MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2009
    I will only be able to do the clean install early in January.
    While doing some testing I found that I could activate Windows 8.1 Single Language with Bing with KMS for 180 days. MTK 2.5.2 does not work with this, but the Ratiborus KMS tool did it.
    At least that is a backup for me in case something goes wrong with the clean install activating with the embedded Bios key!

Thanks for the tips, I will try using the "Change Product Key" in the Windows 8.1 GUI first if needed.