Clean install with Windows 8 Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by gate1975mlm, Jul 13, 2012.

1. gate1975mlm

gate1975mlm MDL Novice

Jul 3, 2008
    Quick and simple question :)

Will it be possible to do a reformat and clean install with Windows 8 upgrade version if a previous windows version is not already installed on the computer? Like for example lets say after a few months of use I want a nice clean install of Windows 8 will I have to first install my previous windows version in this case Windows 7 if I want to do a reformat and clean install?

Also when we buy the Windows 8 upgrade will me get our own licence key that we can use during the clean install?

2. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    I'm guessing that it will be possible, but it's impossible to know for sure until RTM comes out and the upgrade is offered. #2 I'm guessing yes, as well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    #3 FaiKee, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
    If the drive has XP~Win8 installed the DVD will accept and proceed, it just view it as "Upgrade from win8 to win8".:D

Edit :
    1. You can also try the win8's reset function, but I found it took even longer than format and re-install.

2. Next month there should be RTM ISO's flying around, try your upgrade key with the ISO(it probably will), if it works, you can dump the upgrade ISO. :D

4. fdamiani

fdamiani MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2012
    You will need to use your old W7 Key and then you will be able to install the upgrade version, once the upgrade process is finished you will be asked for the new W8 key.

5. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Your message reads like a warning :D
    Did you try it already or is it just a guess?

6. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    I'm guessing most people are guessing how the upgrade will work since I doubt anybody has been able to try it yet.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    One thing is ms do not want to make things too complicated and i doubt they care about losing some dosh over upgrade vs retail. Usually they want this process to go easy as posible, and if they put safeguards into it, that makes the end users part more harder, that is a big problem for ms and selling a new os.

Ms need the upgrade process to be as dumbed down as possible as most people are not computer experts.

Ms knows this, but how dumbed down the process they want is what we do not know obviously.

8. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    Exactly. I don't think it's going to be like the old days where they're actually going to provide only what your particular PC needs to change it from XP, Vista or 7 to W8. It's just way to unstable and unpredictable that way, anyway. The only instability that will likely come from how these W8 upgrades work will be from the installed programs, hardware and/or drivers kept from the previous OS, for those OSes which keep any. Still won't be a clean install if you decide to keep any (but you don't have to), but it will be much closer to clean than, say, a Windows 98->Windows 98 SE upgrade.

9. Diverge

Diverge MDL Junior Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Didn't vista or win 7 let you install the trial, and then allow you to upgrade from that... basically bypassing upgrade nonsense?

10. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    lmao, if after 3 years the user wants to clean reinstall, he had to use that win7 key again?......that key that he surrendered to MS and had been voided 3 years ago? :haha: