Clean Install

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Capum130, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Capum130

Capum130 MDL Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Hello,
    This netbook HP Mini 210 1040 has a folder used in installation process c:\SwSetup. I imagine the task would be to keep RECOVERY partition and System Diags partition untouched, the former is OEM restore and the later seems to be a Setup tool. I will install a debian spin in C partition, but in case users doesn't accept well the new OS - they aren't the maintainer anyway, for productivity and internet apps - I will have a way to return to original status of Windows 7 Starter in manner of a clean install, not current system image.
    So what is the deal? backup keys, cert and SwSetup dir, anything else missing?
    I don't have disk cd/dvd or the sticker underneath the device.

My best compliments and keep the excelent work you do on MDL.

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    If it has win 7 pre-installed there will be a slic in the bios, when you want to clean install 7 you can download a x86 MSDN win 7 iso and install it (starter, basic,premium, pro or ultimate), you can use daz windows loader and it will recognize the slic and only install the key and certificate for you and it will be genuinely activated. Or implement the MRP project files and it also will recognize the slic and install the key + cert + oem branding info and pics (oem branding can be disabled).

3. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    To get back exactly to what you have it might be a thought
    to use Hiren's boot cd ( on a flash drive)
    and use ghost to create an image on a portable usb hard drive
    then if and when you need to recover what you've got
    it's simple to reverse the process

...T

4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Capum130

Capum130 MDL Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Thanks for the replies.
    Actually, the nice part of this which is optimal to keep is the pre-boot menu: Hit ESC enters Startup Menu with F1 System Information, F2 System Diagnostics (F2 Start-up Test, F3 Run-In Test, F4 Hard Disk Test, F11 Error Log), F9 Boot Device Options, F10 BIOS Setup, F11 System Recovery. It also is currently displaying a Battery Alert even before this pre-boot menu with error title and code that makes outputs with such detail and feedback to the user, again, optimal to have. Where is this menu, which links to those features, huh, in boot partition? i can see there is a memtest86.exe in it, but not sure whatelse is default in this dir, besides BCD?
    How to replicate such troubleshoot menu in next OS? because it will overwrite boot loader, isn't?

6. Capum130

Capum130 MDL Member

Jan 25, 2011
    guess this is not right? it requires correction.

7. Capum130

Capum130 MDL Member

Jan 25, 2011
    no answers? where could find answer for the pre-startup troubleshoot menu?

8. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    In Win 10 it's Settings/Update and Security/ Recovery. There's an option for the advanced boot menu.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Capum130

Capum130 MDL Member

Jan 25, 2011
    #9 Capum130, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    (OP)
    No, read: there are four partitions: system recovery, system diag, C and boot. To clean install with debian, the last two shall be formated accordingly.
    Does the pre-startup troubleshoot menu, which seems to be about this sys. diag. partition will remain after the clean install? I don't wish to remove this feature on the netbook.

10. Capum130

Capum130 MDL Member

Jan 25, 2011
    I am not sure. Is it "linked" to the OS? System Diagnostics Menu:
    F1 Sys Info, F2 Start-up test, F3 Run-In Test, F4 Hard Disk Test, F11 Error Log.
    It isn't related to OS at all.