Clean Installation, No Activation, SEE MY CHAT TRANSCRIPT WITH MICROSOFT!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by montythebrave, Jul 29, 2015.

1. montythebrave

montythebrave MDL Junior Member

Jul 18, 2015
    #1 montythebrave, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  2. montythebrave

Jul 18, 2015
    So now that you have lost the will to live after reading that, any ideas how I activate this fresh installation?

3. prmcmanus

prmcmanus MDL Novice

Sep 27, 2014
    You have unbelievable patience! Good effort. You're right, but I don't know how MS are going to implement it properly.

As far as I can understand it, you should be able to install using generic keys and activate automatically as a result of your Hardware ID being noted previously, or the upgrade being linked to a MS Account.

4. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I'd go back to Windows 8.1 and redo everything. It's not like you've lost anything but time, right?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. montythebrave

Jul 18, 2015
    #5 montythebrave, Jul 29, 2015
    (OP)
    I am glad you agree man, I was beginning to doubt myself but I was so sure because their website clearly states you can do a clean installation AFTER you upgrade which i done and windows 10 was activated prior to me doing a fresh installation so all should of worked as per their website. Its so frustrating.

6. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I want to die in a fire while swimming in fuel filled jello mold made of TNT.

7. jaikai

jaikai MDL Novice

Mar 17, 2013
    The fact you changed to an SSD is the issue :)

So now you need to start again, install a legit version of 7,8 or 8.1 then upgrade to 10.

After that done the new system id will be on microsofts servers and you can once again try a clean install.

8. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    please spoiler tag that LMAO

9. montythebrave

Jul 18, 2015
    #10 montythebrave, Jul 29, 2015
    (OP)
    Time and the will to live lol, but i dont understand how doing it again will work.

The onyl thing I can think of is that this time round, the fresh installation was done via their official tool whereas the upgrade from windows 8 to windows 10 was done through the 10240 build on this forum which was release before today, could it be that infact that build is not the official one? I did have my suspicions because cortana wasn't working for some reason saying it wasnt available in my language even though it was set to United Kingdom and had some strange issue with network adapters which I posted today, so maybe we have all installed that build thinking its RTM when it isint? unless i missed the memo that someone has already said this?

10. lunario

lunario MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2012
    jus t to know .. after the upgrade your windows 10 said activated ?

11. Wulff

Wulff MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2010
    #12 Wulff, Jul 29, 2015
    you should install it without entering any productkey, it will ask you twice to enter it but both times leave it blank and click the i'll do this later button, after its all done setting up you will be activated. i made the same mistake the first time as well and entered a key when installing and also wouldnt activate then. second time after upgrade i leave the productkey blank and now my windows 10 pro is activated

12. drnoellyg

drnoellyg MDL Member

Nov 25, 2011
    That wasn't the issue. I've upgraded from that image, then did a clean install and had no problems regarding activation.

13. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    The CSR sounds like today was his first day on the job in a new department created to support Windows 10. It also sounds like English is not his first language. On the other hand, OP you were confused about how the upgrade had to be done to be successful. I agree with the suggestion above to reinstall 8.1 with a legit key if you have one. Then you can upgrade to 10 and get it activated. Then, finally, if you want to do a clean install you can do that. But you have to do the steps in order or it won't work and you'll be left with Windows 10 that won't activate.

14. montythebrave

Jul 18, 2015
    #15 montythebrave, Jul 29, 2015
    (OP)
    I didn't actually did NOT change my SSD, i was just trying to throw a scenario to see what he would say :p

15. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Well, it would get you an activated Windows 10. You could always then just go to Settings > Update & security > Recovery and then select to reset the PC and remove everything.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. lunario

lunario MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2012
    you need to make sure that after the upgrade from win 8 it says activated .. then you can clean install

17. Don

Don MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Normally it works, I have done it three times but I'm guessing introducing the new hard drive the first time you did it probably caused the issue. I probably would have tried normal phone activation, that almost always works.

18. montythebrave

Jul 18, 2015
    That is correct, it was activated after doing an upgrade from my legit windows 8.1 pro

19. montythebrave

Jul 18, 2015
    That is exactly what I did and it didnt become activated once it was all done.