Clean installing Windows 8.1 on a Windows 8 Single Language machine

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by lapse, Jun 26, 2014.

1. lapse

lapse MDL Novice

Jun 25, 2014
    #1 lapse, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    Hello!

I'm running Windows 8 Single Language 64-bit (OEM) and I plan to do a clean install with Windows 8.1.

I presume since my Windows 8 is SL, I can only install a Windows 8.1 SL version. Is this really the case or is it possible to install a more feature-packed version of Windows 8.1 on my machine (for instance Windows 8.1 x64 Multi-lang) and have it activated from my embedded key? (I figured since I'm doing a clean install, I might as well make the most out of it.)

Assuming that I can only install Windows 8.1 SL (which I strongly suspect), I've tried searching the forum for the download links with the latest versions and have found the following two:

forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/47732-The-Windows-8-1-(-amp-related)-Repository#a7vii​
    forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/53855-Windows-8-1-with-Update-ESDs-Repository?p=900356&viewfull=1#post900356​
    (Sorry, I don't have the privileges to turn them into hyperlinks.)​

The problem is, I'm not sure what the difference between the two files in the links above is. Is one of them more updated/recent than the other? Are both these versions unmodified and directly from Microsoft? It's difficult to tell since it seems MSDN doesn't provide any SHA-1 hashes for the latest Windows 8.1 Single Language available.

I'd appreciate any help.

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. lapse

lapse MDL Novice

Jun 25, 2014
    I see. So, I will only download Windows 8.1 Single Language then.

But is the file that you've provided an untouched file from Microsoft or is this a patched version created by the users?

If the latter, then I presume that the file here: forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/47732-The-Windows-8-1-(-amp-related)-Repository#a7vii is the most latest unmodified version available?

(I will read your thread more carefully later when I've decided on the file and subsequently downloaded it!)

4. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    Modded ISO's/ESD's are not allowed on MDL, they are genuine untouched MSDN files. You will see the hash is posted with them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    They are official.

6. lapse

lapse MDL Novice

Jun 25, 2014
    #6 lapse, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    (OP)

Okay, then I will download this file. Thank you.

I have ran "slmgr.vbs /dlv" in Run but I'm not sure which is the SKU among the various pieces of information listed in the pop-up dialogue box. Could you please tell?

Also, what is an "OEM: DM" key? Is it my OS product key?

7. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Name: Windows(R), XXXXX Edition

It is the licensing channel of your OS product key.

8. lapse

lapse MDL Novice

Jun 25, 2014
    Got it. So, it is CoreSingleLanuage.

Sorry, I'm rather inexperienced in this area. Is it a different piece of information from my OS key?

9. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  10. lapse

lapse MDL Novice

Jun 25, 2014
    OK. I will read into it and I'll download and use the ESD file according to the procedure in your thread.

Thank you for your help.

11. lapse

lapse MDL Novice

Jun 25, 2014
    #11 lapse, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
    (OP)
    I've downloaded the Windows 8.1 Update 1 ESD file and created a bootable USB drive with Rufus (using the 'GPT partition Scheme for UEFI computer', 'FAT32 (Default)' and '8192 bytes (Default)' options).

I would be following the following procedure:

1. Boot laptop through bootable USB drive.
    2. Start Windows 8.1 setup and use generic keys when prompted for a product key.
    3. Delete all partitions in my HDD (I have only one HDD attached) and continue setup.
    4. Activate Windows when it gets installed.

Will this procedure work correctly? Have I missed something that I should be doing?
    Also, will deleting all my partitions affect the functioning of my action keys (the function keys on my keyboard that perform the action depicted on their key)? I ask this because I find them fairly useful and wouldn't want them to stop working after the install.

(I'm using an HP laptop which came pre-installed with Windows 8 Single Language 64 bit.)

12. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    #12 Snuffy, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
    If your installing UEFI it will just remake any partitions and take longer... that way.
    I left all 3 of the UEFI partitions and the install rewrote them when I upgraded to Pro. with Clean install ...
    used the Install Key only, then entered my "Genuine Pro Key after install", or you can enter your Genuine Pro Key - works either way ...
    Did for me anyway...

Hot Keys I had to add them back after the Clean Install but then I did Make Backups of all the Original OEM as Manufacture stated.

13. lapse

lapse MDL Novice

Jun 25, 2014
    Oh, so you lose the hot keys if you do a clean install? How did you add them back?
    (Yes, I'm installing it using UEFI.)

14. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    manufacturer's homepage should have a driver/software directory where you find a special program which installs your hotheys for your machine

15. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    I make the Driver package as Manufacture Recommended and it had all the Drivers plus Manufacture added Programs so you can install if needed or wanted.
    Manufacture 10 Touch is much better than M$ 5 Touch default... as one example

and i stated in my original post "then I did Make Backups of all the Original OEM as Manufacture stated." They Recommend but Not mandatory.

16. lapse

lapse MDL Novice

Jun 25, 2014
    Okay, I think I've found the driver!

I do have the Recovery Disks but these disks only allow me to restore the machine to its original factory settings. It doesn't give me the option to install a particular software.

17. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    glad that you found what you needed