Clean reinstall on HP netbook

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Mabel, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Mabel

Mabel MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2013
    I'm not sure this is the right forum for this question, but then again: lots of people seem to have comparable problems, so here goes:
    As my 3-year old netbook was getting very slow, I decided to get rid of all the junk at once by completely reinstalling the OS (Win7 starter). Now, there is a very easy way to this with the Recovery Manager (as described in the support papers on the HP site), but that didn't work for me. This may wll be due to a faulty HD; I've no way of testing it as my C: drive is now reformatted. So what next?
    I was not completely unprepared; earlier I made:
    - a USB-stick with the 'HP USB Recovery Flash Disk Utility' (HP45774). The stick does contain, I think, all or almost all of the contents of the recovery partition. (NB: you need a 16Gb stick and this is a trick you can do only once.)
    - a recovery CD on an external CD drive, although without a 'disk-image' as by then the system had grown much too bloated already. (should have done that straight away after I'd bought it, although I'm a bit at a loss as to what storage medium would be used).
    These two means should surely be enough to restore the thing to factory settings? However:
    - The memory stick should be bootable, but isn't.
    - Booting from CD works, but the Recovery Manager can't seem to access the diskimage on the usb-stick. (Although, when I call up a command prompt, one of the other options, it is readily available.)
    So I don't really know what to do now. I'm thinking of two options:
    1. In one forum thread it was said that the stick thus made 'often' or even 'usually' isn't bootable, as it should be. The advice was to make it bootable, using EasyBCD. That's easier said then done, I found; no luck so far. Can anybody help me with some more specific advice on how to do this? (The stick does contain a boot directory, bootmgr etc.; it clearly is supposed to be bootable.)
    2. Following the advice in other threads, I downloaded the whole 1.7Gb WAIK, just to get hold of imagex.exe, which i then put on the memory stick. As the bootable 'recovery CD' does provide a command prompt, I could, supposedly, 'apply' the image base.wim, which is also on the stick, to 'drive D:' (under these circumstances, that's the main partition). But as there's lots of other stuff on the stick (like FactoryUpdates), I'm afraid it will be a lot of hassle installing computer-specific drivers and stuff.
    Can anyone give me a tip on how to proceed?
    Mabel

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Why even mess with the Starter Edition? You can get a clean Windows 7 .iso from a link supplied by this forum and download what drivers you need from the HP website. Installing the drivers is as simple as double clicking on a .exe file. You do have to get the correct drivers, but you do that by make and model which you obviously know.

Now is the perfect opportunity to upgrade.

3. Mabel

Mabel MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2013
    You're right, of course; that would be the sensible thing to do. But it's become a matter of principle to me: I just can't stand it that I'd have to pay again only because the software isn't doing what it promises to do. And as for 'upgrade': with all the dismissive talk about Win7 Starter I still fail to see even one argument why upgrading would be of benefit to me.
    Mabel

4. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    The immediate benefit would be to get your netbook up and running which I gather from your original post is not happening. But, your machine; your call.

5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Just backup the 'swsetup' folder in C: & do a clean install using MSDN media. Starter is a crap... use Home Premium or upper SKUs. Remember to update the bios first.