Clean & ResetBase WinSxS Folder script?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MonarchX, Jul 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I just tried running Murphy's Clean & ResetBase WinSxS Folder script for Windows 8.1 on Windows 10 and it did not work - got stuck at 48%. Doing so added another 1GB of used space on drive C... I need to stop using Windows 8.1 stuff for Windows 10.

Anyway, how do I do the same thing (Clean & ResetBase WinSxS Folder) on Windows 10 to clean up that extra 1GB+?

2. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
  3. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    PLEASE!!! :worthy::worthy::worthy:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Yes, but too late now! I just want to fix that WinSxS folder and remove that 1GB of whatever was created!

5. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    #5 s1ave77, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Try manually in admin CMD:

Cleanup Default:

Code:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
    Cleanup with resetbase:

Code:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup /resetbase

Analyse Comonent-Store:

Code:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

Repair Component-Store:

Code:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    So I ran DISM RestoreHealth, SFC ScanNow, Chkdsk + bad sector scan & repair, and System files clean up. None had issues, BUT after I rebooted, my mouse cursor disappeared. I had to unplug and re-plug my mouse for it to be detected. I guess it is safe to say my Windows 10 OS is now FUBAR and needs format+reinstall?

7. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Yep, i would say it's better.

RECOMMENDATION: Create Sytem Image Backup, then start experiments.

8. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    #8 MonarchX, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Did all that - the extra 1GB of used space remains and my mouse was not detected upon boot up, requiring me to unplug and replug it. I think my OS has gone bad already...

9. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I re-installed Windows 10 on formatted SSD and didn't run any Windows 8.1 tweak/fixes or NET Framework for Windows 8.1. I DID, however, install DirectX 9 using the same files I had for Windows 8.1. Is that OK? DirectX 9 is universal for Windows Vista and up, isn't it?

I also installed MS Redistributable package (from 2010 to 2015) - that also should not be a problem, should it?

10. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    It should not add to your system. It only removes things.
    Do you have an anti-virus program or something running?

It sometimes seems to pause and take quite a long time. Let it run. You don't want to stop it.

11. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    You are right! I'm a DUMB-ASS! It didn't take away extra 1GB, it provided an extra 1GB of free space, but it did get stuck at 48% for good 15 minutes - that's a no-no...

12. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    If you Resetbase the first time it can last 30-60 mins to complete. Inbetween a lot of stuff gets re-assembled, moved to temp location and then deleted. So murphy is right, if you stop it, you're doomed!!!

When too much time ... better STAY OFF.

13. mr_cerberus

mr_cerberus MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2015
    Fore what it's worth here is my info about the only way to really 'delete' old Windows update files in the WinSXS folder.

Windows 10 will not let you 'delete' the updates folder, it's configured by default to ignore the /ResetBase parameter and will only delta-compress the WINSXS folder. (this is done to protect Windows restore, so be sure to make a complete back up first or take the risk of having to 'clean install' Windows if your system gets broke/corrupted beyond repair).

First do this:
    Disable the Resetbase value at this registry path, it needs to be set to 0 or delete it's entery to rebase the OS (or image)
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide\Configuration

So... open the Register Editor (Win+R keys --> regedit) go to that key and set the Resetbase DWORD value to 0 instead of 1.

Now you can really remove the old updates.

To do it the safe/right way it's better to check it's health first just to be sure it's ok, the DISM command checks and repairs it.
    So... open the command prompt as administrator and run this command:
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Now when done, enter the cleaning command:
    Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

If you like you can check the size first and subsequently just run this command:
    Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore

NOTE:
    Do not interrupt the task, make sure your computer is on ac power not only battery power. (it can take a long time to complete the task up to two hours may be).

The StartComponentCleanup DISM option is supported on all Windows versions starting from Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012.

Hope it helps the community, greatings from DELTA-PC and have a nice Christmas every body.

14. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    your OS is definitely not gone

you have just your temp folder left full of garbage by the interrupted process. Just clean up it and restart the resetbase process

15. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Necroposting, eeh?