Clean Windows 7 installation question about windows update

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Slogra, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Slogra

Slogra MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2016
    Hello folks!
    I was wondering how much windows 7 ultimate automatically updates and installs without my approval when I install it clean on a brand new hdd?
    Im currently using win 7 enterprise sp1 on my old computer which I have disabled updates on and done quite a few tweaks on iirc, so it has very few updates (4 total in update history, in 4 years) but I have never had trouble with it. As few updates and programs installed as possible on the computer, thats the way I want it.

Maybe im a bit paranoid about windows 10 after reading so much negative things about it, and the way some ppl were supposedly automatically upgraded to win 10 from windows 7 without agreeing to it.

Anyway, would you suggest that after I install win 7 ultimate and daz loader I let windows update to ALL the updates it wants and then turn it off or simply pull out my network cable right after install and go in and disable windows update?

Oh and I am doing the right thing getting win 7 over win 10 (with all its forced updates, spyware and even bricking of pc's) for my new gaming rig right?:mushy:

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012

1. - none
    2. - not bit, but fully
    3. - yes
    4. - of course not

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #3 PhaseDoubt, Oct 9, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    Create a system image of your virgin system, put it in a safe place and then allow 7 to update to its heart's content. If it blows up you can restore the image and be right back where you started.

Or you can research the 200+ updates individually and install them one at a time.

Truth is, nobody here can accurately tell you what is the exact right thing to do and can't assure you of what will or won't happen, you just have to jump in there and see what happens yourself. But do have a recovery plan of some sort.

4. Slogra

Slogra MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2016
    Thanks for the answers boys
    That looks pretty good! But if I would want to upgrade to win 10 would that pack create issues? To upgrade to windows 10 you need all the
    correct? Would I need to uninstall the updates from the pack and do it the "real" way?
    Mind telling me why not?;)

5. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #5 PhaseDoubt, Oct 10, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    From you OP I understood you'd installed essentially no updates as of the time of your posting. From that perspective, there would be nothing to uninstall if you choose to install each update individually. 4 total in 4 years is essentially none to me.

If you've used the Simplex Pack, that takes you out of "virgin installation" territory and essentially voids my comment. If that's the case, well ... no you don't need to uninstall any individual update that was successfully installed. Assuming it's not causing a problem of course.

What's got you so spooked about updates? Sure problems happen, but there are ways to mitigate that. I think it's a far worse security situation to have no updates than to worry about a bad one all the time.

We've now got five machines running Windows 10 and none have had problems with updates. Will that always be the case? I have no idea and frankly I'm not worried about it. I have multiple backups and system images. I've proven to myself I can recover if need be. That's the key to me, having a recovery plan and not worrying about what the internet naysayers have to say about what's going to happen on your specific computer.

6. Slogra

Slogra MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2016
    Hi phasedoubt, thanks for replying again.

Sorry if I wasnt clear in my first post, its my old computer that only has 4 updates, Im getting a new computer in a few days on which I will install windows 7 and thats the installation im talking about.

The simplex pack seems great, since its telemetry free. I believe I will go for that.

The main question is this: When Win 7 or Win 10 is cleanly installed, how fast does it start autoupdating after the first boot? If im going to use the simplex pack do I need to immediately disable windows update to avoid automatic telemetry updates or is there no rush?

7. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #7 PhaseDoubt, Oct 10, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    With 7 you have pretty much total control; with 10 it depends on the version. A search of this forum, or the internet in general, can answer all your questions about update methodology for both 7 and 10.

8. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015

Whatever you do is fine with me, however... make sure you understand that kaljukass's opinion is not shared by every one here.

As an example: What I do in a case like that I clean install Win 7 Ulti with SP1, and then add the latest SIMPLEX update. That way I know, that nothing is installed I do not want installed.

This means NOT that kaljukass's way is necessarily wrong, but I know that there are more than just a few out there, who would never follow his advice. And most certainly there are more people out there who would touch Win 10 at best with a blowtorch, but never let it near their computer.
    This is a huge, very good forum, with more info than anyone can read. So check it and make up your mind....

PS I hope you invested in an SSD in your new computer?

9. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    Windows 8.1 is also pretty good once you remove all metro crap from install.wim, there is no forced updates and forced driver updates and other s**t. If you install a start menu replacement and a visual style to make it look like Windows 7, you will almost not even notice that you are not using Windows 7.

If you are gonna use Windows 7, use simplix pack but integrate it to install.wim and clean install. If you install it on a already running Windows, it's gonna take long time to install all updates.

10. Slogra

Slogra MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2016
    Thanks Thomas I will go with the clean install -> simplix update!

Of course I invested in an SSD :)

How long is a long time? :) I have never integrated drivers drivers into an install.wim before, but I guess its pretty simple and it saves some time, but if its just an hour or so were talking about I dont mind it.

I shall follow this tip! Thanks!
    This is my new hardware: [ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING] - [Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0 GHz 8MB, be quiet! Pure Rock] - [ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ROG STRIX DC3] - [Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2133MHz CL13 Vengeance LPX] - [Samsung 750-Series EVO 250GB]

11. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    I did it for someone else last year and it took more then 1 hour, but don't remember how much exactly. Integrating all updates to .wim takes 30 min on my PC and takes no extra time when installing Windows. Speed will depend on PC.

12. Slogra

Slogra MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2016
    Alright im up and running on win 7 with daz loader successfully installed and the simplix pack.

Now im sure this have been asked before but if I would want to upgrade to win10 and get that free legit license, is it best to do so right now and upgrade to win10 and tag my mobo with the license (I have no idea how that works) and then format the drive and do all this over again to run win 7?

13. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #13 LatinMcG, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    use windows 10 assistive technology upgrade.
    once done restore previous build of win (7)

now youre done and HWID is stored at ms and u can reinstall win 10 with no key in future.