Cleaning desktop with air blower

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Fly3, May 26, 2020.

1. Fly3

Fly3 MDL Junior Member

Oct 7, 2017
    I cleaned my pc today with a chinese air blower but i forgot to prevent the fans from spinning while cleaning.
    some say fans could generate excessive power from the strong air flow and damage the motherboard
    or maybe the fans itself get damage !
    is that possible ?

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #2 kaljukass, May 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    This is a fairy tale. You can hardly make such a strong wind that you can really ruin something, but these motors do not provide electricity, they are triggered by phase-shifted electrical pulses. Such motors cannot be used as generators.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ohenry

ohenry MDL Senior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Many many years ago, when I was learning to repack wheel bearings on automobiles, I was taught never to let the bearings spin freely when compressed air was applied. Clean out the old grease using varsol or gasoline, blow dry using compressed air (without letting the bearing spin), and repack with fresh grease. Packing the wheel bearing with fresh grease was a lot of fun. They did make a bearing packer, but no one except big commercial shops had that tool.

It is amazing to me how much dust can build up inside the typical desktop computer over a period of 2 to 3 years (or more). When people bring me their computers for upgrades or repairs, and the first thing I do is blow out the dust, if they’re watching me work they are often quite surprised at just how dirty the insides can be. I tell them it’s like the inside of a vacuum cleaner.

I use a big air compressor, at 100 to 120 psi, and I do not let the fans spin freely. I stick a finger on the cpu cooler fan before blowing, same with the case fan, and any fans that might be on a graphics card. The fan(s) inside the power supply, I use a popsicle stick to block them from spinning when air pressure is applied.

As always, YMMV.

4. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    I use a vacuum cleaner (not a shop vac) w/ a small end on the hose for most of the case, etc.
    On the cards & mother board I use a compressed air can, one has to be careful w/ a can of compressed air as the first blast can have moisture in it, I have noticed.

5. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
    clean computer with air duster and change thermal every 5 years for more life znd reduce hot zone

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Although I try to keep fans from spinning when blowing out the computer, modern fans can handle being spun like that. I prefer to use an air compressor to blow out computers. I don't like air in a can as much because it doesn't work as well.

7. CaptainSpeleo

CaptainSpeleo MDL Addicted

May 24, 2020
    A portable hair dryer set on its fastest blower speed and coolest temperature is what works well for me.

8. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Bat uses a 200 MPH Electric Leaf Blower to clean out him Puters. Tape the fans to keep from spinning, tape came off one a while back so had to replace dat fan.

9. shtrumf

shtrumf MDL Junior Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Or...you can wait for the next hurricane to come by...If that doesn't clean your workstation i don't know what will.

10. foxyrick

foxyrick MDL Member

Aug 25, 2011
    OK, if this is a blowing contest...

I use a 300 bar (over 4300psi) SCBA tank* to clean mine. You should see the way it removes the painted lettering from the chips along with the dust! Fans... have you ever seen one melt from its own friction?

Seriously though, I find some dust sticks persistently even with compressed air. I often use a wide carbon fibre brush to brush the dust off, along with a hand held vacuum cleaner sucking it up as I brush. That way the blown dust doesn't just resettle again too.

*Actually the dive tank is used to recharge my PCP rifle.

11. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Wasn't posed to be pissing contest but @foxyrick done gave Bat idea :idea: Bat oldest Son look like him got ringworms from playing paintball every weekend so send de dirty ones to him :clap3: