Cleaning up that Driver folder! Where is it?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by MonarchX, Dec 6, 2014.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I distinctly remember that there was a Windows 8.1 folder that stored previous versions of nVidia drivers I had installed. It kept getting bigger and bigger, even though System Restore was turned off. I do not remember the location of that folder, but I do remember deleting those previous nVidia drivers and saving myself quite a bit of space. Could someone please, let me know which that folder was and where it would be located?

2. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    C:/Nvidia is where mine is on win 8.1 ;)

3. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Nope, not that one. I don't even have a folder like that. I am talking about a system folder. I think it was DriverStore or something, but I checked it and nVidia folder is small. Something keeps eating away my space!!!

4. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    #4 s1ave77, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
    Even with options to show (most) hidden system files enabled, some still won't show up. Hiberfile.sys, although visible sometimes ignored, is one huge one among them. Additionally i would always check Shadow volumes and System Restore Points both don't show up anywhere but can consume a vast amount of (invisible) space :cool2:.

EDIT: Reminds me that in Vista times i got a laptop from a friend that asked me to check what is consuming the disk space. Interestingly it was the paranoid system itself by very regulary creating Restore Points for each Software/Driver Install and on a general schedule. Summed up to ~80 GB on that machine :doh:. On a 250 GB drive indeed a number :cool2:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. assbutt

assbutt Guest

Never try to delete things from DriverStore manually. The correct way is to use pnputil.exe ;)