Cleanmem in win 7 ultimate

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by coolbuddy, Aug 31, 2011.

1. coolbuddy

coolbuddy MDL Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Is cleanmem v2.2.0 necessary in Win7 with 2 Gb RAM,Eset Nod 32 anivirus,Comodo firewall,Google chrome(mainly used)?

2. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    I believe it can be beneficial, I've been using Cleanmem for a long time. However, I don't believe in the clearing of File Cache, particularly under Windows 7 which is much better at memory file cache utilisation than Vista. This can be easily optioned ithrough the settings app after installation.

3. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Actually the flash drive is a waste of time more memory is better and if possible a faster hard disk or SSD.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Cleanmem has got nothing to do with the pagefile :)

If you are talking about every other memory cleaner program out there, I would have to agree they're pointless. Cleanmem doesn't actually flush the pagefile or memory, it trims the working set of the open applications. It doesn't take memory itself (unless you use the memory monitor app), it runs via the task schedule, and its free so costs nothing.

Of course more memory, an SSD etc would help, but thats all extra cost, and even with those cleanmem would still be potentially beneficial.

5. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Well by nothing I meant as a function of the program, not the effect the program has :)

For readyboost, although it can work with most flash drives these days, most are pretty bad and aren't really beneficial. The faster the flash drive the better. USB 3.0 flash drives doesn't necessarily mean faster, I've seen some around which are slower than USB 2.0 flash drives (USB 2.0 transfer rates max out around the 30-35MB/s mark, any faster than this its the cache and write behind cacheing being enabled tricking the transfer speed).

Ideally you have an ultra fast USB 3.0 stick, however it becomes pointless since I believe readyboost is disabled when using an SSD. The thing with readyboost is it about speeding up the pagefile speed by not writing small bits of data constantly, something which you don't want to do on an SSD (if the flash drive stuffs up from it, not so much of a loss, right!!).

One little trick readyboost has is its compressed, supposedly around a 2:1 ratio, such that an 8gb dedicated flash drive equates to 16GB data memory. In reality, that amount is pretty wasteful. When you have 8gb of RAM and an SSD, you would think Microsoft would have a simple alternative to readyboost - readyboost in RAM! Say you have 1GB of RAM on an 8GB system with an SSD dedicated to readyboost, you effectively have 2GB of readyboost RAM which is ultra fast and doesn't wear out flash media or use system resources as much, since readyboost is also encrypted (in case the drive is pulled out or power failure keeping RAM data stored), and requires the use of the USB system. The readyboost in RAM could also be dynamic, but say never go below 256MB on a 8GB system and 128MB on a 4GB system etc, and to a max of 512MB on 4GB, 1GB on 8GB. The other thing about readyboost is the data is also written to the pagefile anyway, just delayed. Through the RAM method, the data would never have to be written to the pagefile. Its the constant very small read/writes which readyboost intercepts, so having this as part of RAM readyboost would still be hugely beneficial as 512MB (256 in RAM) should be more than enough, any speed up both HDD and SSD, with the added benefit of not stressing the SSD.

Although the access pattern is meant to be different with SSD, I'm sure you can still envisage that there is a lot of stress on the SSD still with these small writes to the pagefile, and moving the pagefile to a separate drive really doesn't mak much sense due to access speed.

Say a highly optimised (AVX, XOP, SSSE3 etc) compression of pagefile data, even if its very light 1.5:1 (so its fast) would also benefit SSD due to reduced writes and hard drives due to the compression cacheing and access being faster than straight access - for 'longer term/bulk' data not intercepted by the readyboost RAM function.

Sounds good in theory at least! - and it just extends on the readyboost principle.

6. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Ready boost in RAM is nothing but a RAM drive :rolleyes: if you had loads of memory which is cheap right now you just dump the page file to a RAM drive and you're good to go.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. coolbuddy

coolbuddy MDL Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Thanks for the information guys.This is such a very good forum.